S&w 5906

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by synical, Jun 23, 2011.

1. synical

synical New Member

I have a Smith and Wesson 5906 that out of all my weapons is my favorite! She always is dead on and never fails me! Does anyone else have this weapon and love it as much as I do? I have it in 9mm

2. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

I picked one up last week. She shoots quite well, but I have a few minor quibbles:

1) The slide release lever is too far forward. To release the slide means changing my grip to bring my thumb forward and then back again. I.e., I cannot release the slide and maintain the normal shooting grip.

2) Takedown is a bit of a bear. There's a small dimple on the right side of the frame that needs to be depressed while pulling the slide to the rear. It's not very easy despite knowing exactly what to do.

3) Trigger is heavy on that first DA, probably the heaviest of all my guns.

I like the gun though.. Shoots wonderfully, comfortable (though the grip is a tad on the large side), feels solid, and durable.

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I have one and it is the cheapest I own (bought used for $300) but probably my best...though not my favorite.

I don't have a problem with the take-down but annoyed with the assembly having to have 3 things to push down for the slide to fully move back in.

I shortened the main hammer spring (by 2 coils) and it improved the DA trigger pull a lot.

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I have a old school model 59. I like it, but its a big double-stacked brick.... ;)

5. synical

synical New Member

once you break it down a couple of times you get use to how the slide works with the pin! and yes I agree it does have a hard pull on the first shot however if you cock the hammer back she is a very easy pull!:D