S&w 5906

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ninjatoth, Jan 10, 2011.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have a friend that wants to make a trade on a rifle I own for his S&W 5906,they are worth about the same but I don't really know much about that pistol,can you tell me a little about it and also tell me if it will be any better than my Ruger P95?

2. tbone1964

tbone1964 New Member

5906 is the quinticential S&W semi auto all stainless 9mm quite the cult following and very desirable if looking to flip it.. great shooter will last a lifetime

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

What T Bone said Ninja.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

UPDATE:I found out that it is actually not a 5906 but rather it is the 5905 stainless steel blued,does this make a difference?

5. CA357

It depends on if you like blued handguns. ;)

What are you trading?

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

TBone nailed it. S&W 3rd gen pistols are great. One of the best SA triggers ever with crazy short trigger reset.

7. melie

melie New Member

Great gun. Smith and Wesson have the best triggers on the market.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Ok,he had his gun put away for a long time and he just looked at it and seen that it is not a 5906 or 5905 but it is a 915.What do you think about it now?

9. CA357

I would pass on a 915. It's an earlier model and they had some issues that were worked out in later ones. However, I'm not sure what the problems were.

Although they're not bad pistols, the third generation pistols are better. Like I said before though, it all depends on what you're going to trade. I'd own one, but it would not be my first choice.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The 915 was actually a no frills 3rd gen, about the same as a 5904. Blued steel with an alloy frame. No frills, single side safety instead of ambis, fixed sights only, etc. They were great, cheap guns. When the Clinton AWB went into effect they changed to the 910, which was a variant of the 39 Series with single stack mags.

I'd grab a 915 in a heartbeat if it crossed my path.

11. CA357

I stand corrected. Good to know.

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I was disappointed when I found out it was an aluminum frame and not blackened stainless steel because I figured steel is stronger and I don't carry,just range shoot and home defense.How does aluminum compare in durability to stainless steel or polymer?

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Some guns with aluminum frames are fragile (don't ask, as I do not want to deal with the angry fanboys:p), but the S&W alloy frames are GTG. S&W has a lifetime warranty on their products, but I cannot remember if the 915 was grandfathered into that. Check the S&W website for warranty duration.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'll wait to comment until you nail down the model number. [​IMG]

15. WDB

WDB New Member

I'm going to wait to see a picture before I comment:eek:
    No insult meant but seems to be hard to figure out what the pistol is .

Also what are your looking to trade for it?

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The trade is already in the process,and it is for sure the 915,looks just like the 5905,I am giving him my .444 Marlin and he is giving my that pistol.I'm not worried whether it is a fair trade or not,he is like a brother to me and he needs a gun for elk & moose that has a little more knockdown than his .270 or 30-30.I just wanted to know more about the 915 just for kicks.