s&w 5906

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by rob1990, Nov 7, 2013.

1. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

Just got this gun. Can anyone tell me anything about this model? Any good, year they made them ect. Maybe point me in the rite direction to find accessories

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I've seen a lot of them sold as "police trade-ins". They are in every third movie with a pistol. I like the look of them, but do not own one.

3. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It was a cop favorite until the Glocks and the SIGs landed in the US. In fact the first 9mm semiauto widely issued by LE, the 5906 being the 3d generation refinement. An excellent old school all steel pistol. Will be a soft shooter for you. Some of them came with unique winged (protected) rear sights. As far as accessories, they had no rails AFAIR so not much. A duty pistol, a little heavy for CCW but great for sports.

4. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

I'm lookin for extra mags and sights. Its in great shape. Actually traded somone somthing that I only had $100 dollars into lol.

ForumRunner_20131107_192330.jpg

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Keep on trading while hot, you may get something decent :D

Looks in exc shape. SS good, hooked trigger guard good (a later refinement). Hogue grip a plus. Mags shouldn't be a problem. Target sights used to be an option, not sure now, just google or eBay it.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Actually the squared trigger guard means it's an early model, later ones were rounded. I got mags for my 5906 at CDNN. They had used 15rd S&W and new 17rd Mec-Gars (which work great). Looks like yours has S&W grips which I prefer over the super thick Hogues that many LE trade-ins come with. I haven't checked in to replacement sights but they're probably still available.

7. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

Nice gun. I had a 59 many moons ago. Wish I hadn't traded like a dummy. It was a great gun.

8. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

I can't find any mags anywhere. It sucks. I found lots of options for grips and sights.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Yes, on a closer look, that is a plastic S&W grip. The Hogue is same profile, just cushier. Won't argue about the trigger guArd, it came off the top of my head. I am surprised someone had trouble finding the mags. Mag resellers have them at gun shows.

10. AR10

AR10 New Member

Walk a gun show, lots of smith mags, you should find all you want in a show or two.

I have a blue one. Never use it personally, but it is a great trainer. I use it as a rental at my gun range.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

12. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I carried one as a duty gun from 1988 until I retired in 1999 and have mine in the safe (it was given to me when I retried). There is nothing the 'new' generation of 'duty' guns can do the 5906 can't do, they are just lighter and harder to shoot well than the 5906. I have had several of our guys (who are issued Glocks) shoot the 5906 through the qual course and everyone of them shot higher scores with the 'old' gun!:eek:
    That should tell you somthing about 'change for the sake of change'!:rolleyes:
    I have a 5903 and the 6906 which I carry as my maine CC guns. I too had to carry a Glock for many years in AK and AL and when I shot the qual courses I would shoot 10+ point higher with the S&W!
    Being that the MOST IMPORTANT requirement to surviving a gunfight is hit probability it would be logical one should carry gun which gives the highest hit probability, but not so when politics enters the picture!:mad:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like the 5906. I didn't think I would though so much till I ended up with one in a trade a while back. I intended to trade it back off as I had next to nothing in it But ended up holding on to it a good while as I really liked how it shot.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Although I now carry a Glock I sure can't argue with you, Jim. I wanted a S&W 39/59 since the early '70s but went with a Colt 45ACP instead. Then to Glock. But when CDNN had the 5906 for $299 and 6906 for $350 (LE trade-ins) I couldn't resist. Later I stumbled across a LNIB 5903 (private citizen owned) for $400 that I had to have. Love them all and all are keepers. Everyone should jump on a 3rd gen S&W while prices are still low.

15. Mercator

Mercator New Member

JimRau,
    How many rounds a year was a police issue 5906 shot, typically?

I thought the only reason for the switch had to be the weight, since many developed back problems from wearing 30 pounds if gear daily.

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I would say the average cop only fires what is required which would vary from state to state but it would probably be less than 500 a year, probably a lot less.
    AL only requires you to qual once a year!:eek: In CO it was quartly, but we could go to the range and shoot monthly if we wanted too.
    I tell people police turn ins are usually carried A LOT and show it, but shot very little which makes them a good buy of SD or general shooting.;)
    As a side note, we kept two of the 5906 as 'range guns'. We did an initial cleaning and oiling and then fired 5000+ rounds with both without one bit of maintenance. We were going to try for 10,000+ but when they were loaned out they were inadvertently cleaned by one of the shooters we loaned them to.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I want the 4506, mostly for ammo commonality. With the 4506, I believe there is a mag from a different model gun that works well with very minor tweaks, something like taking an Emory board to the mag catch notch or something. May be something to look into for your gun.

18. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Thanks Jim

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Jim: I have two smiths even older! A 439 and a 569(12 shot). The 439 dad bought me before my first " Gov't sponsored trip south of the border" and the 569 was a hand me down from him...I had to alter the grips on both to shoot comfortably. I also scored an LE trade in 92FS not long ago, which looks better inside then 2 of my other 3 92's !!