S & w .460..

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by yesicarry, Mar 16, 2010.

1. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

My Uncle recently bought a S&W 460.. Finally took it to the range. Trigger jammed 3 times in 5 shots. Finally got the casings out and tried a different brand of rounds.. Jammed twice in 3 shots. Shot casings stuck in the cylinder. He took it back to the shop he bought it from and they gave him all of his money back. Good ending..

But dagnabbit, I wanted to shoot that portable cannon too.:mad:

Anybody else have this happen ?

2. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

I had an M29 44mag. that always gave trouble ejecting the cases (very hard extraction) with magnum loads. It was better with mild loads, but not magnums. I fought with that revolver for like six years before I decided maybe I should try to polish the chambers. I got a big no on that from the S&W forums, they said I might damage it. They said call S&W and see what they say. So I gave S&W a call, and they said don't do anything, we'll look at it. They sent a prepaid UPS shipping sticker for me to send the gun. I got the revolver back in one week with a new cylinder and no charge whatsoever.
    That was some excellent service that I'll never forget.

MotorG20:)

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

I had that happen with 2 brand new S&Ws right out of the box. On the first one on a whim, I took the key out and turned the lock on and then off again making sure it was all the way off and never had a problem after that. Shortly after that when it happened again on another new gun I did the same and it cleared out the problem too. Since then I do that to every new S&W revolver I handle before I ever go to the range with it. No more problems.

4. Wambli

Wambli Member

Ps. slightly sticky cases in a .460 are not that uncommon specially if you fire .45 Colt or .454 Casulls in it before firing the 460s.

Like in a .357 you should clean out the chambers before switching from shorter to longer cased ammo.