S&W 460 Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by aandabooks, Jul 15, 2013.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Trying to work a deal on a 460 with a 8.5" barrel. Haven't shot one but I have heard they are great guns. Comes with a box of ammo, reloading dies, Leupold rings and bases, Nikon 2x pistol scope, box of LR Mag primers and 100 rounds of brass.

I'm not sure if the dies and brass are 460 or one of the other calibers this gun will shoot.

Where would you guys put the value on this package?

2. thatonespot

thatonespot New Member

Im new here, and really to guns in general, but unless you're bear hunting inside the lodge, i would recommend finding a smaller caliber you enjoy just as much or more. It will be easier on you physically and monetarily.
    If you're dead set on getting said package, i'd ball park it at 600-800 depending on the gun's condition and how much you like the guy :D

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I am handgun poor. My handgun collection is large after 50 years of spending too much on toys. :eek: However the .460 S&W is my next fix. I think it is a great idea in modern handguns. You can shoot mild .45 loads or "Bear Busters" . It looks like a handloaders dream.;)

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

I don't know but go with your gut in the end. You don't wanna kick yourself for passing, later on. You can always resell if you hate it. You may never be able to buy this package again.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

So no one here actually owns one? I have a Taurus 44mag all setup for deer hunting this fall but the 460 ballistically is almost a rifle round compared to the 44mag. I'm a reloader so the cost of ammo doesn't mean as much to me.

Getting closer to making this deal. Just trying to work out the logistics.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I know a mechanic who owns one. He likes it. It is quite versatile. It can be loaded with .460, .454 casull, and .45 colt. He also claims the .460 S&W has the highest velocity of all pistol calibers.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I believe standard factory ammo gets up around 2200FPS and you can go faster if loading you own.

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I have a friend that owns one and I got to shoot it a couple times, there's only 1 word to describe that gun... AWESOME!

He has had a hard time finding an affordable score or red dot that can hold up to the recoil. anybody have a suggestion of what he could try?

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Iron sights. :p

10. 1turkeyhunter

1turkeyhunter New Member

I have yet put a scope on mine but I would definitely go leupold. I would be willing to give around $1000 for the setup used. I gave $1400 for mine with the 14" barrel. Custom holster I designed for it was $350 and that is cheap. I love shooting it. It has the fastest muzzle velocity of any revolver in the world! Cant wait to take mine bear hunting! You wont regret it! Good luck.

image-521228538.jpg

image-3162548373.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  11. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

jimogden,,, I would get an Ultradot,, my brother has one on his .475 Linebaugh and has no problems with the unit at all, very sturdy and holds it's zero well.

12. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Hope it works out for you. I passed one up a few months ago because prices were so inflated. Still think it would look good next to my 500.

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The "new" 460 round looks just like the 45-60 that was used in the 1876 Winchester.

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Define affordable. How much will a series of inexpensive scopes turned into scrap cost, compared to getting it right the first time?

Leupold & Burris used to be the go-to brands for durable pistol scopes back in the heyday of pistol silhouette shooting. I have two 30 yo Leupolds from that era that are still going strong.
    For red dots, Burris Fastfire or something very much like it comes to mind. Kind of small but very durable. Anything that is designed to be mounted on the slide of a semi auto is probably worth a look.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Honestly I'm not a big fan over very long barrels on a revolver, but that's a nice looks wheel gun. And I really like that holster for it.