S&W 44 special?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by JorgeLobo, Sep 19, 2009.

1. JorgeLobo

JorgeLobo New Member

Folks"

Looking for your advice. I'm looking for a handgun for general household protection and plinking . I prefer a rveovler. Thinking about a S&W 44 special or 357 special or mag.
    May I have your comments re. +'s and_'s?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Welcome to the forum, JorgeLobo. Since I have no idea of your experience with firearms, I will offer what I would do. :D

I would look at revolvers in .357 mag that also shoot the .38 special. There are many out there that are very functional. Plink with the .38's and protect with the .357 mags. That is just my opinion.

Perhaps if you go to the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself and your experience, you may find some other members with different opinions. :D

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO any collection of handguns must start with a good 4" .357 Mag revolver. They are simple, powerful, reliable, and versitile. Light specials for practice and plinking. Heavy magnums for deep penetration on large targets and everything in between.

S&W 586/686 are very good revolvers.

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I agree 100%. A good 4" .357 is a must in any firearm collection, you can shoot quite a few different types of ammo and it's cheaper to feed than a .44.

I would go with either a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100.

5. JorgeLobo

JorgeLobo New Member

Thanks guys - fyi I'm an Army vet and a member of NRA. Was pretty experinced but haven't owned a firearm for decades ( scares the old lady).
    My town (Cincinnati) and the surrounding county are broke and financial cuts have severly limited prosecution of criminals and forced realease of crowds of felons. (no need to mention the social programs that are maintained as well as funding of a new "Green" city dept - think very liberal city council majority).

So I feel the need to get some household protection. I'll try the weapons at a local sotre/range so thanks for the suggestions.

One more - my inclination is S&W and txs for the Ruger sugestion but what are the best makes?

6. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

You can't go wrong with either brand, they both make excellent revolvers. S&W offers a few more models in .357 than Ruger (including seven shot guns, etc.) and the double action trigger pull is usually a bit better out of the box, but that's something that can be easily fixed with a cheap spring replacement and by shooting the gun often. Rugers are really tough, and although I love my Smiths I find the cylinder release on the GP100 more convenient than the one on my S&W 686. Try them out if you can, go with whichever you find more comfortable.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I really like the .44 S&W Special, and have two guns dedicated to them, as well as a S&W Model 29, which also shoots the lower-power special loads.

I walk a lot in the woods around our home, in which copperheads abound. I carry CCI snake loads in my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug and .44 Special SafeStops in my S&W 296. The SafeStops are my protection against rabid skunks and two-legged predators. A neighbor told me he came upon a marijuana growing operation in the woods - near where I walk - some years before we moved here. It's unlikely this will happen again, but...

Tasha, the family mutt who accompanies me on these walks, tangled with a skunk last year. The polecat scuttled away before I could draw the Pug, which is just as well, as the stink a kill here would have created might have put the entire trail off limits for the rest of the season. A rabid critter, however, well, that's something else.

I like the .44 Special because of the bullet's size and accuracy. I have several .357s, but the .44 is my handgun of choice in the event of a home invasion. My weapon of choice for such prospective encounters is my Rossi 12ga Overland coach gun.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'll recommend the .357 for the reasons already mentioned. I have a 4" Ruger GP100, but have had a number of Smiths. For .44's, I really like the S&W model 29 and have had a couple, including a Mountain Gun. I prefer the capability of using either .44 special or magnums.

For a .44, I prefer the Smith over the Redhawk strictly because it just feels better to me. FWIW, I use Pachmayr finger groove grips on all my revolvers.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am a S&W man but the Ruger GP-100 is a good solid revolver. I voted 686 because there are good clean used ones on the market that will serve well for many years. I also like the .44. I have two but think the .357 is the best starting point. Get the .44 later as it is worth owning also.

10. panzermk2

panzermk2 New Member

I am a real big fan of the 44spl. Makes 44cal holes but is controllable.

11. JorgeLobo

JorgeLobo New Member

Thanks everyone - one more. Of these - 38 and 44 special and magnum - what are the relative kicks/recoils?

thanks

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you've fired a 9mm, that's about what a .38 is like. Very manageable recoil. The .44 special is probably like a .357 or maybe even a bit less. .44 Magnum has the most recoil, but isn't unmanageable.

The rule of thumb is the longer the barrel, the less recoil. I found .44 magnums in my Model 29 through a 6.5" barrel very easy to shoot. In the Model 29 Mountain Gun (4" barrel) it was a bit more snappy.

I'd suggest finding a range that rents guns and trying several calibers and barrel lengths. All of our information can't beat your actual experience.

Good luck with your quest.

13. WDB

WDB New Member

I agree with Robo, Look for a S&W 586 or 686, You can shoot 38 spl rounds through it and have minor recoil, much like a 9mm. Then you can shoot 357 mag rounds with a little more recoil but managable with a 4" or 6" barrel. It a solid pistol, should be easy to find one in great shape for a fair price, easy to operate and fun to shoot.

As CA357 mentioned if you can find a range that rents, that is truly the best way to decide what will work for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

14. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Take a look at the S&W 581/681...

Jorge, first welcome to FTF, as said stop by the intro. section and let all get to know you. I like most go with the 4" .357Mag. as a starter weapon. I would like to point out another option, in the S&W line. I own a 4" S&W model 681. It is the same as the 686 other than non-adjustable sights. The same can be had in the blued version=581. I am not going to start the debate between fixed sights vs. adjustable sights, but for me the non-adjustable work just fine. These are available on the used market, as retired security guard/armored truck drivers weapons. They are also "L" frame as the 586/686 models. Look into the "K" frame that S&W also has to offer. The cyl is smaller in diameter making it lighter/easier to pack/hide on your waistband. There are a million stories out on the web on K frame vs. L frame. Do some reading on those, and make your own choice. Bottom line-IMO, don't overlook the "L" frame Smiths, with the NON-adjustable sights. ;):D PS: Yes the 586/686 have MORE hammer/trigger options-You Old Timers don't slam me...........

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  15. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

this is good advice.

that being said tho, i'll offer my two cents.

personally i like the .357 mag. you can shoot the cheaper .38 special or .357 magnum so it's versatile, and you get all the power you'll ever need in a revolver in my opinion.

i have an older ruger security six .357 with a 6 in barrel and i love it. it's strong as a tank and a good all around revolver. a lot of folks like te rugers and the s&w's are very good too.

but like the guy i quoted said, your own personal experience is probably the best way to figure out what you want.

good luck...

16. Viking

Viking Active Member

I have owned a Charter Arms 44 Bulldog for many years, it hides quite well in a jeans pocket and is very close to 45 ACP for knock dowm power. I probably haven't shot 50 rounds through it but I know it would be great for close quarters shooting. It does pound your hand but if you are in a bad situation it will do the job.

17. Dave T

Dave T New Member

What ever handgun you choose, please get some training and then practice until you are confident in your skill and ability. The real weapon is you, the gun is just a tool.

Dave

18. OC357

OC357 New Member

I totally agree.

I am bias towards .357 though.

OC