S&w 44 mag purchase decision.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by 98coop, Sep 24, 2011.

1. 98coop

98coop New Member

Hey y'all, my name is Josh, and I'm new.
    I have a buddy looking to sell me a s and w 44 mag with a holster and 50 rounds of hollow points for $350. I was wondering if I should jump on this? It seems like a good deal, but I'm no gun expert. I know the gun is either stainless or chrome, and in good working order. It is a few years old however. Just wanting some opinions I guess.
    Thanks!

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'd have to see the gun, I'd have to know your buddy very well, and I think I would like to see the original sales reciept or would ask if he minded using an FFL for the transfer of the weapon. JMO

BTW......Welcome to the FTF!

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If the gun is in good condition and LEGAL, I'd jump on that deal immediately and twice on Sunday.

4. 98coop

98coop New Member

Ha the gun was obtained LEGALLY from the original owner. He is trying to buy a 1911 is why he is selling it. And it's "too much gun" lol.

5. 98coop

98coop New Member

Oh and thanks dunerunner!

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you had the model number, barrel length and serial number it would help.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Personally I would jump on it. Larry Potterfield of Midway USA put a bunch of videos on youtube, and one of them covers what to look for in a used S&W revolver.

8. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Have you shot it yet? The 44 magnum revolvers I have shot have had ridiculous recoil, shoot it first and make sure it will be a fun gun for you. Compare prices against what you see on Gun Broker, I bet that is a good price.

9. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

If the gun has no significant defects and is in good condition, that price is about $200 low (at least). I would buy it in a nanosecond. If 44 mag is too much for you to shoot (It is for most people) you can load .44 specials in it and still have a formidable defense weapon.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I bought a brand new 629 in stainless. It is a 4 inch barrel. I paid $775 for it if I remember correctly. I don't mind shooting full magnum loads. It depends on the shooter.

11. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

If that is a S&W in good shape then its a crazy good deal, if its a S&W at all.

At that price, I doubt its a Smith though.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with what all the others are saying. if it's a S&W 44 mag. then 350 is a great price. if you shoot it and are not happy with it at that price it would be excellent bartering material to get something you would be happy with. a lot of people think they want a 44 mag. until they shoot one, then regret the decision. i traded for 44 mag. a few months ago, but knew that if i wasn't happy with it, i was going to sell it or trade it. well, you won't be able to pry that gun out of my hands now! after shooting it quite a lot now, (lots of reloads!) i fell in love with it.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

My mom loves the .44 mag for hunting with her lever gun, and has shot a friend of the family's model 29. If you get it and don't like it, give me a shout and I'll let her know, she'll probably even give you a profit for it.

14. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

That is a extremely good deal. But super good deals like that can mean stolen. So I would check it out first and if its not stolen and in good working order I would jump all over it.

15. 98coop

98coop New Member

I believe it is a 629 model. I will post a picture in a minute, and I am going to shoot it tomorrow morning. The gun is in awesome shape

16. Axxe55

good luck coop. remember use both hands, that thing is a beast on magnum loads! a suggestion, i shoot mostly 44 specials in my 44 and the recoil difference is huge. if you are going to do a lot of shooting, they would be kinder to your wrist and arm.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dude just get it.

18. Axxe55

what trip said! for the price you can't go wrong. even if you don't like the 44 magnum, it would be excellent trading material for another gun. resale on that gun is good.

19. NativH

NativH New Member

I have a 629 Classic with a 6" barrel and they are good shooting accurate pistols. I carry it in south Texas loaded with ratshot for rattlers plus it makes a great sidearm during deer season. They are keepers and $350 is a ridiculously low price for one in good shape. He is giving it away.