S&W .38 special

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MobileMarine, Aug 8, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

OK I traded my newly acquired beretta 92 in stainless for my grandpas old smithy
    Now before some of you start bashing on how that deal sucked , I only had 300.00 in the 92 and I have a taurus 92 so close enough to the same gun for me . I was wondering if some of you could tell me about what year and such this ol girl may be , I remember it very well growing up so I know its at least 28 yrs old but here is the numbers . 47546 mod 10.5 with a hand engraved # of 754695 . The last number makes me kinda believe it was issued to some one @ one point but its located on the bottom of the drum well . if need be i will upload some pics . it came in a black two snap S . D MYREE holster

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Model 10
    -1 1959 Heavy Barrel
    -2 1961 Changed extractor rod thread to LH on standard barrel
    -3 1961 Same as above, for heavy barrel
    -4 1962 Screw in front of trigger eliminated
    -5 1962 1/10" to 1/8" front sight, on standard barrel
    -5 1962 Screw in front of trigger guard eliminated on
    heavy barrel model
    -7 1977 Change to put gas ring from yoke to cylinder
    -8 1977 Change to put gas ring from yoke to cylinder
    on heavy barrel model

3. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

interesting , i have some old wad cutters to fire thru it this afternoon . I should be getting a 6in stainless s&w 357 soon , It seems the revolver collection is getting big all of a sudden . thanks for the info

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Mobile,

I do not think that the deal sucked at all. There is only one Grandpas Model 10 with a little history and possibly some sentimental effect also. And a ton of 92pistols. I still have all of my grandfathers weapons and will be passing them on to my grandsons. I believe C3 did a great job dating your pistol.
    Enjoy it but I would not fire a lot of real hot defense rounds through it. Not that it would not shoot them well, just thinking about preserving it in the long run.

5. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

Not gonna bash you! I heart the Smith K Frames, and it sounds like you got a SWEETY! Remember....92's are nearly a dime a dozen. A classic Smith wheelgun is like a peach!

6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I found a few pounds of old hand loads most are ball or wad cutters that i have been shooting out of my security six for a while with no issues . I think ill take the wheel guns out this weekend with the exception of the spainish 32 , that one scares me and cost too much to shoot

7. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Congrats! I love my old 70s k frame

8. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I have another k frame in .22 and its almost as accurate as any of the 22 rifles i own

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The number 47546 does not match with the Model 10-5.

If the hand engraved number is the Serial Number, it should have a "K" prefix.

If it is a M10-5 with a S/N of K754,695 then it was produced in 1967. (The same year I went to boot camp.) :eek:

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My S&W M19-3 IS the most accurate handgun I own! It makes me look good shooting her.

11. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

Ditto what Cane said. I've got a Model 19 that can drive tacks.