S&W 357PD (41 mag), H&R 999, or Ruger 44 carbine anyone??

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by stalkingbear, Dec 4, 2017.

1. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I have a few guns I've been looking for-at least reasonably priced, for quite a while now! The S&W model 347 PD (4" Scandium 41 mag version of the model 329 PD 44 mag), the H&R Sportsman model 999 (9 shot 22 LR break top action), The Marlin model 57M or 62 (30 degree lever travel arc in 22 mag, or better yet .256 Win mag), and last but not least a really nice, low serial numbered, original 44 carbine, preferably factory peep sight model. Yall please keep your eyes peeled for me!

2. SWSinTN

SWSinTN Member Supporter

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I typed 347 but that is a typo. It's actually S&W model 357 PD. I'd love to get a 999, but have been thinking and either a Ruger LCRx in 3" barreled adjustable sited .22 LR or the S&W model 317, which is the Scandium .22 LR, those would make more sense for use when instructing, and I have elderly or raw beginners. They would be easily able to hold them up, not very much recoil at all, not a fire breathing monster that will scare them off, and the simplest manual of arms of all (easy to operate), never feel them in a holster when using as fishing, camp, kit, or survival gun. The H&R model 999 (Sportsman) would be a purely selfish gun for nostalgia, extremely accurate (much more than 1 would expect, and more so than I can shoot), and because they're basically in a class all their own.

SWSinTN and Dallas53 like this.
  4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a really nice 999. It now belongs to one of my grandsons. I would love to run across another one in good shape.

5. SWSinTN

SWSinTN Member Supporter

I browse through auctions every day looking for good deals. I've been keeping my eye out for the guns on your list, and so far that's the only one I've come across. I have seen several S&W in 41 mag though.

stalkingbear likes this.
  6. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

LGS had a couple of 999's come through a while back. Will keep my eyes peeled.
    The Ruger autos popular here, since PCR legal for deer. Standards in rough shape are all over 500 bucks..........my local shop gets em now and then (they don't last either). A clean one w no box/papers...........went for $650.........in a flash.

stalkingbear likes this.
  7. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Pops has a minty '66 Ruger sporter.
    When PCR became legal I filled a doe tag with it.
    Not the best in accuracy, since front bead is huge (think it aftermarket way back).
    Has peep (uses receiver holes, is not side mounted).
    Trigger sucks.
    But it's cool factor is way up there and 75 yards and in is usable.
    Old fart wouldn't let me change front to smaller bead.
    At 100 yds you might see a deer's tail and nose around it LOL