s&w 22a or rugern mark iii

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Thejiro, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

So i have narrowed my first purchase down to the s&w 22a or the ruger markiii after going to the local gunshop hand holding them. They both felt very natural in my hands. My concerns are accuracy fte ftf rates ease of cleaning reliability and over all durability.

Tia
    Ken

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I am not a fan of the S&W 22a... of the choices I would say Ruger Mark III. Have you looked at the Browning Buck Mark? Most folks like the Ruger or the Browning at the ~$300 mark.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i just recently bought the new Ruger 22/45 Mark III a couple of weeks ago, have put about 600 rnds through it with no problems at all. i am not familiar with the Smith & Wesson 22 pistol, but i have owned others made by them and have always been pleased with their guns. i imagine their 22's would be of the same quality as the rest of their pistols. i think that whether you go with the Ruger, or the Smith or even the Browning, you won't be unhappy.

4. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I dont think either you choose would be bad. I currently have 2 mark ii pistols and love em. I had a smith 22a and wish i still had it. The one thing you will notice is the 22a is much easier to clean than the mark series but once you have dont it a couple timea it aint bad

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have had my mark 3 for 9 months,put about 8,000? rounds through it,I can literally sit and run 500 rounds of cheap bulk ammo through it with no jams,even when it's all gunked up it keeps going it's like an AK or something,accuracy is awesome up to 15 yards with my 4" barrel and will group all in 15" at 50 yards offhand.

6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

mark III has some tear down challenges, few youtube videos on how to accomplish it. The mags down freely drop when released. I'm looking at putting in a kit to fix that.

7. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I own a S&W 22a and I vote ruger.. the 22a is heavy and the front sight sucks..

The only advantage I see is if you need a top rail for optics.

8. Axxe55

the ruger is a little tricky first few times you field strip it, but does get easier the more times you tear it down. my new ruger and i had the instruction book right in front of us, and still had problems the first time!

9. Thejiro

Thejiro New Member

Thats pretty much the consensus ive seen about fiekd sripping the ruger. I also have heared what ninja tooth said about the reliability of the ruger chewing through ammo. I guess each gun has its ups and downs ill probably be happy with either gun i choose as it will be my first gun ever. Right now im leaning towards the ruger from all the amazing reviews and recommendations fron experienced shooters.

Thanks all for the info
    Ken

10. Axxe55

check out the ruger 22/45 Mark III with the 5.5" target barrel, has adjustable sights, comes with 2 mags, a case and a scope base and screws. shoots great!

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have very little gun experience and didn't think field stripping the Ruger was too bad. But then I saw someone field strip their semi-auto and I could see why some think the Ruger Marks are a challenge. :) I was shown how to field strip mine a couple times, I demo'd it back to my instructor. After that, a video on Youtube and the owners manual was enough for me to do it with no problem.