S&W 1911 slide sticking on recoil

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by v-man, Mar 28, 2012.

1. v-man

v-man New Member

I have a very Accurate S&W that has never given me a problem for about a 1000 rounds. Today I noticed the slide was slow to return after each shot and after a few more it began sticking in the full recoil position as if it had an empty mag but it didn't. I just got home from the range so I haven't taken it apart to clean it yet but was hoping someone might tell me what I should look for when I do. thanks

2. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

you need to look at both sides of the guide rails and insure you didn't Gaul the rails. to ne sounds like the gun was getting tight either through heat expansion or debris

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

I've seen that problem occur with a recoil buffer installed. The buffer started getting chewed up, and hanging up the slide.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Any follow up?
    How about a couple of pics of the frame slide rails.

5. v-man

v-man New Member

UTF, you are the grand prize winner. Great call! His (her?) answer reminded me that this gun is the only 1911 I have ever put a buffer pad in. When I got inside I found the remains of the rubber buffer wedged in the guide spring about a half inch in front of the link pin. I thoroughly cleaned and examined the gun (sorry, didn't think to take pics) and found no damage to rails or anything else. I took it to the range yesterday and once again it runs perfectly. Thanks for the replies.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

get rid of the recoil buffers. i use to run them years ago and had the same problems. i don't use them anymore. if running hotter loads, change the recoil spring to a heavier one, and if running lighter loads, run a lighter recoil spring. recoil buffers usually cause more problems than they solve.

7. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

glad to have been wrong

8. v-man

v-man New Member

I'm glad you were too W3. I didn't go into detail before but this 1911 has been converted to a 400 Corbon which I love. I replaced the 16# spring with an 18# spring due to the stronger round and decided it was a good time to try the buffers. It took less than about 300 rounds to destroy the buffer. I don't think I will use them any more as recommended by Axxe55. Thanks for all the input.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you have a problem with the slide battering the frame, then go to a heavier recoil spring. Brownell's and MidwayUSA both carry Wolff springs and carry them in various spring rates so that you can tailor the spring rate to the load you shoot.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If the casings are falling at your feet, the recoil spring is too heavy.
    If the casings are shooting to the next county, the recoil spring is too light.
    If the casings are going 6-8 feet behind you and a little to the right, then the spring is just right.

With the caliber you are shooting, do not expect more than 3000 rounds before you get another.

11. v-man

v-man New Member

I assume you mean "get another" spring and not "get another " gun. Right?

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

His.

And I'm glad it was a simple fix.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not much gets by utf59.

I had the pleasure to shoot with him a wile back. Here's the read, you may find it entertaining.

Another FTF meet and shoot.

14. v-man

v-man New Member

just noticed UTF, You and me are neighbors, just on opposite ends of the Buckman Bridge. You don't happen to shoot at GRP do you?