S&W 1911 or Colt Gold Cup Trophy?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by trip286, Sep 24, 2011.

1. trip286

trip286 New Member

I have made a deal with my wife. This coming tax season, if all goes well and there's no issues we have to take care of, she gets her disney world vacation, and I get a 1911.

I originally told her I wanted the Colt. I don't know Colt very well, I know they have their fans and their haters, but I know my M16A2 in boot camp was great. I do know S&W pretty well and am a fan for sure.

I've been thinking about a 1911 for a while, and was pretty much limiting myself based on price meaning I wanted a cheap one, entry level, whatever. But now I have made a deal to spend 1k or thereabouts and was wondering about the opinions.

In the end I'll end up getting what strikes me, but I want to hear about some of the differences/pros/cons of one over the other.

It would serve as a carry weapon and a range gun. Will not be modified for any competition, but MAY be modified for carry and reliability, most likely will be kept as it comes in the box.

I really cant decide between the 2 and I may be jumping the gun (no pun intended) because taxes are still months away. Between the 2 I like the looks of the S&W with their fishscale slides. But that is the only thing I can come up with.

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

S&W would be my recommended choice for fit, reliability and quality of parts.

Built to better tolerances COLT = correct our loose TOLERANCES !

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

GOLD CUP, nuff said

[​IMG]

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Not really LOL!!! I've seen pics of the gun! I know they're both fine pistols, and that's why I cant decide. At least I have until January at the absolute minimum.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

colt. no question. both will shoot. but the colt will be higher quality of fit and finish. colts are built to the actual 1911 spec for the most part. yeah some models add internal safeties and extended this and that but the dimensions are all correct.

colts work right out of the box. if they dont colt says to send it back.

finally got my original colt series 70 back after my brother abused and neglected it for 20ish years. still functions great just needs the springs replaced.

ive got 3 colts a new agent and two series 70. one is old one is new. my new one feeds empty cases to hollow points to full wadcutters. the older one will feed hollow points and fmj but not the empties and wadcutters.

the new agent also feeds em all.

ive had a number of other 1911s but they just dont stack up to a colt.

i also own other handguns in 45acp sigp220 xdm and had a cz97bd which my father currently has (gave it to him for self defense)

i like 45s but colt is the best

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think S&W makes a fine wheel gun. I think they come up short in the 1911 department.

Get the Colt Gold Cup. It has retained the JM Browning genes and not found a need to answer a question not asked. The external extractor.

If you want a great revolver, get a Smith, but if you want a true 1911, get the Colt.

Attached Files:

• cgc.JPG
      cgc.JPG
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
    • cgc3.jpg
      cgc3.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
    • cgc4.jpg
      cgc4.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
    • cgc5-1.jpg
      cgc5-1.jpg
      File size:
      36.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Mr_1911

Mr_1911 New Member

The gold cup, all the way. My first 1911 was a gold cup, my grandfather me his series 80 gold cup and it is by far the most sweet shooting reliable gun I have!

Attached Files:

8. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Another vote for the GCT here.

9. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

+1 for the Gold Cup

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Between the two choices, I would go with the Colt.

11. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

My vote goes to S&W. Having guns of each, I find any of my S&W 1911 guns out shoot and out perform any of my Colts. I still like Colts and would buy others if I find them at a reasonable price but S&W in the last few years has stepped up to the plate far better than has Colt.

In Colt's favor, they hold their value better but I feel that to be due to name recognition rather than quality or performance.

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not even close in my book. COLT GOLD CUP all the way. Right out of the box performance. Its Colts first, then my kimbers and then my sigs as far as 1911's. They are all great shooters and have NEVER had a failure in ANY of the three mentioned. But my Colts have always been my main carry pistols. I do carry the others to change it up a bit. But if i had to choose one to trust my life to everyday then COLT it is.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wow it seems to be overwhelming support for the Colt. The biggest thing I like about the S&W over the Colt is simple looks, and the sights look to be more snag resistant.

I like what Canebrake said as far as S&W and Colt. I've already got a S&W wheel gun, and love it.

Last night I thought about the history of Colt, and I seem to be swinging that way. It will probably end up being a last minute final decision though. (if it happened today the decision will likely be Colt)

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The sights on the Gold Cup are designed for shooting targets. If you want to carry the GC, put some BoMar sights on it.

But get the Colt. No comparison.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would be carrying it, but I think I would keep the sights as it would be shot more for fun and practice on the range. I haven't had to use a gun since active duty, except for a raccoon. I think practice, proper carry position/equipment, and proper clothing would cut down enough on the snag risk.

Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

At least round off the corners of the GC sights.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Good idea. It would probably take some getting used to the sight picture though.

18. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

OK, I have to ask.

Those here favoring the Colt. Have you shot a S&W 1911 made in the last five years? If so, did you fire it more than once?

I would have answered Colt myself if we were talking about S&W of years ago. Today, S&W has them beat. The newer Colts especially have gone down hill. I hate to say it but I think Colt will shut down in the next few years. They are no longer making revolvers and their handgun production is dropping.

Before suggesting one over another, try owning both and then firing each long enough to get the feel of both guns.

I fired about 40 rounds through a friends new S&W 1911 the first of last year. The next day I ordered me one. Since then I have bought another new and one used from a friend that needed money badly. The S&W 1911 is not the same gun it was when it went into production.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I will NOT try owning both! Don't have that much money :) ! And Colt does still make SAA, anniversary revolvers, and commemorative according to their website.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I feel that shooting and trying both is important though, but unfortunately funds and availability prevent this.