S&W 1911 or Colt 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gunny1138, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Gunny1138

Gunny1138 New Member

I'm looking to get a .45 and have narrowed it down to these two companies. Which should I get and why

2. Mouser

Mouser Member

both...because too many is never enough :D

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

If it has to be one of those two, I'd go with Colt. The only reason why, is that Colt is... a Colt. They're priced comparably enough. The Smith and Wesson has an external extractor which was not part of the original design. Although, it seems that Smith and Sig are the ones who finally got it right with the external extractors. There had been major reliability problems with them in the past from other companies.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

What S&W and what Colt?

5. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I am unlucky and do not own a 1911 at all. (Damn being poor!)

However, I'd say Colt.

I mean.... Come on, it's a Colt.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Colt. Finally bucked up and bought a Gold Cup a couple weeks ago. Now I know why Cane's answer to this question is always Colt.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

colts have the best 1911 barrels INCLUDING custom nighthawks clarks and wilsons and whomever else you care to name. the colt factory barrels are outstanding. they feed everything from full wadcutters and empty cases to any hollowpoint you care to come across.

colt absolutely no doubt. current colt 1911's should have their own sections in all gunstores.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'd have to say Colt as well! nothing against S&W as i have great love and appreciation for their pistols and have owned many of them over the years, but if it was my first 1911, and it was choice between these two, i would have to choose the Colt for sure.

9. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My first 1911 was a Colt Series '70 Government Model I bought in 1976. Excellent pistol that has served me well. So I have to say Colt.

10. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like Colts, but S&W is top notch for the price range.

I guess if you want a more modern take on the design, S&W. If you want a traditional 1911, go with Colt.

I have a Series 70 like Quentin.

11. austin92

austin92 New Member

Edit:
    Brother had my phone and made an uniformed post on here. I'd go with the colt though

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  12. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Go to Colt's custom shop and let them know what you want. My Series 70 is pretty much exactly like a GI 1911 apart from the parkerized finish, whereas mine is blued. The sights are the standard crappy GI sights, the hammer bites your hand, and it has a steel mainspring housing with a lanyard loop.

The gun is pretty smooth and the parts are tightly fitted.

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

Colt. Have to go with what I own.

14. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

15. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

My 2 Colts have performed 100% from day one. My new Wiley Clapp has fired several different types of ammo without a hiccup, and the almost 30 year old Gov't Model I bought has been great too. Buy a Colt and you will not be disappointed.

16. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Not sure what your price range is, but I really like the look of the new S&W custom shops.

Attached Files:

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like the Smith 1911's pretty well. But if I was choosing just between them and a Colt the Colt will win on most instances. Now I'll take a Smith over a Kimber every time. But that's just a personal thing with me. I'll take a Para Ord over almost anything. I actually had to choose between a Para LTC and a Colt Combat Commander and picked the Para. Several years later I'm still glad I did. But the Colt was a fantastic pistol. And in my opinion better built overall than the Smiths.

18. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

I have one of the S&W sc with the 4.25 barrel with several thousand rounds through it. It's a good gun, but if I had to buy it or a Colt I'd get the Colt.:eek:

19. austin92

austin92 New Member

Yeah, I had to show my brother who's only seen gold cups that he wants a 70 series or 1991 edition lol. I'm like him though. Don't care for the newer style 1911s

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The only principal difference is the guide rod type. The extractor is an eternal conversation piece, the practical difference is immaterial. The looks and the Colt pedigree is what decides it 9 out of 10.

Both 1911s are so good and so similar, you have to be the Princess on a Pea to categorically "feel" the difference.