S&W 19, recrown or not?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by spittinfire, Jan 18, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Most of you have seen pictures of my 19 and thanks to my own stupid actions there is a small burr on the very edge of the bore. A very gentle recrown would make it go away but I was curious as to what it would do the to value. I don't have the box and I do shoot it but it's the cleanest 19 I've ever seen personally which makes it harder for me but I can only blame myself. What do you guys think?

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Spitty, you only have to consider the value if you think you'll part with it. Get your baby fixed and continue to enjoy it...

3. spittinfire

I wish I could find a barrel but my searches have turned up nothing. How much do you think it will hurt the value with a recrown?

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If done by a good smith - nothing at all...

5. spittinfire

Made a bunch of phone calls for a barrel and got nothing. I need to find a good smith in the area.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

ROAD TRIP! Run over and see Bear!

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You could send it to S&W service and have them do the recrown.

8. spittinfire

I need to look into this option. I just read on another forum where a guy sent a 19 back to S&W with a cracked cone and they said they couldn't fix it so they gave him a new 686 and scrapped the 19. I almost fell over....the 19 was nice and the parts could have saved others from death or I'm sure someone has a forcing cone for one.

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

How does it shoot Spitty?

Sometimes a nicked crown won't affect accuracy much or at all.
    If accuracy suffers, how deep is the nick? Does the crown need to be recut or can you just polish it out?

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Deepends on whether or not the imperfection contacts the rifling. So how bout it Spitty? I have read that re-crowns are not that expensive. If it doesn't touch the rifling I don't know that I would mess with it for the moment.

11. spittinfire

It's into the rifling. I've shot it a couple of times and accuracy is ok but not what it used to be....it definatly need to happen. If I could kick myself in the junk I would. I hate it.

12. freefall

freefall New Member

You're fairly close, I'm sure Tango would kick you in the junk if you asked nice. ps, re-crown it.