S&W 15 Project

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by dnthmn2004, May 28, 2011.

1. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

This is my first complete project. I wanted to take a POS junker and turn it into something other than a paperweight. I think everyone should save at least one gun in their life. :D I hope this sets a good example for anyone thinking about undertaking a similar project. You don't have to spend a ton of money - everything I used, I already had lying around the house.

As some of you know, I bought a model 15 police trade in priced at $70. When I received it, it had more rust than blue on it, the internals were lubricated with carbon sludge dating back to the '60s and the springs were garbage. I almost regretted spending any money on it at all.

I took a lot of time cleaning it very thoroughly. I then I gave it a bath in vinegar for two hours scrubbing each part with a fine bristle brass brush and scotch bright pads every half hour or so. I then rinsed the parts and dried them in the oven at 250° for 20 minutes.

I spent a couple hours today buffing the parts with a cotton wheel and Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. I used my Dremel tool to detail some of the corners and small parts.

I just finished soaking/cleaning it with Break Free to remove any excess polish, assembled it and oiled it. It is now one sexy looking wheel gun. I plan on bluing it very soon but I want to enjoy the shine for a little. Also, there is a lot of pitting left over from the rust - any advise on fixing pitting would be helpful.

The new grips arrived yesterday and I expect the Wolf Spring kit next week, immediately followed by a range report. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Looks good. What did you have to do to the innards to get them to work?

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I stripped the gun down as far as possible, down to the last pin. Cleaned every part with Break Free. I used maybe five sheets of the blue shop towels and every one was black when I tossed it. It was ridiculous. It might have been easier to pop the side plate and wash it out with a hose. lol

4. danf_fl

Is there a range report coming? If it is anything like mine, you should have no problems hitting the bull at 15 yards (double action).

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Yes sir, as soon as my new springs show up, I'm throwing them in and going to the range rain or shine.

6. danf_fl

Check out AlumaCoat(sic?). I did a 1911 slide that was slightly pitted. It is a long process with sanding between coats (over several weeks), but it seem to fill the minor pits.

7. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Looking good. Thanks for the update, please keep us posted. :)

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Can you get access to a fine glass bead blaster? That's about all I can think of to remove small pits.

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Possibly. I don't know anyone off hand, but maybe a friend of a friend will.

10. CA357

I think it would lessen the pits and give you a more consistent surface to work with.

You may even want to consider Parkerizing it. Brownell's offers a pretty inexpensive Parkerizing kit.

11. CA357

I take that back. I just checked and there aren't any cheap Parkerizing or bluing kits at Brownell's.

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Given the guns age, I was thinking of staying away from anything other than blued or polished.

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Fair enough, decision made easy. I was going to ask you for a link, but if they are fairly expensive, never mind. :p

14. CA357

I just found an Electroless Nickel plating kit at Midway for $114. I know that's probably more than you want to spend, bit I thought it was cool enough to post here. They also have a $58. Parkerizing kit, but you have to buy the tank separately.

Caswell Mini Electroless Nickel Plating Kit - MidwayUSA

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I think if you bead blast it it won't reduce the size of the pits but it WILL camoflage the heck out of them. It will be more of a matte blue than a high gloss, but should look nice. If you're not happy with it I'll give you $50 for the finished product.:p

16. danf_fl

Uh, is there someone in the 'hood who specializes in gold plating car emblems?

A solid gold Mdl 15, now that is a thought!

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I'll keep you in mind. Thanks for the offer.:)

I suppose I could spray paint it gold for sh!ts and giggles at the range. :rolleyes:

18. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice. An auto parts store that re-surfaces brake rotors will have a blasting cabinet.

Or, you could send it to me and I'll do it for you. :p

Did you see the Mod 10-7 that I redid? Posted here somewhere.

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I did see your 10-7 and was sort of an inspiration.

I did find a local(ish) company that specializes in blasting and finishes. I'll be calling them mid-next week and see if they can set something up for me. Unfortunately, MA law won't let me leave it with them, and from what I've heard from my dad, they are really busy. So I would have to set up an appointment a couple weeks ahead and watch them do it. :rolleyes:

20. danf_fl

Brownells has different videos on products used to plate, blue, parkerize, and paint firearms.

Youtube has a bunch also, check them out and decide how you want to go. Have you thought of electroless nickel?