S&W 15/22- Vortex StrikeFire Problem

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by larich29, Jan 29, 2012.

1. larich29

larich29 New Member

I Need some help and advice. I have a S&W 15/22 with a Vortex StrikeFire red dot scope. I am trying to zero the scope in and it is driving me nuts. I am shooting off a table and a Caldwell Matrix rest at 20 yrds. I will shoot let's say, high and to the left 5 in. I move the scope low and to the right. It brings it down, low and to the right, but not as far as it needs to go. So I move it just 2-3 click it the correct direction to try to zero. Next thing I know, its shooting low and to the right 6 inches. I know it shouldn't move that drastically with 2-3 clicks. I shot 100+ rounds and it would never stay consistent. I have tightened the scope mount to the rail. Groups are good with each adjustment, it's just always in a different area. HELP!!!!!!

2. safedman

safedman New Member

I tried just a cheap Bushnell red dot on my 15-22. Could not get that thing to shoot within 4 inches of each shot. Frustrated I pulled the scope off and put on a quick detach NC Star with hard cross hairs and mill dots. Will shoot 1 inch steady all day now...not sure why. I even asked how your supposed to site with a red dot... Mine did not like em. I wish you luck. This little 22 is my favorite rifle
    [​IMG]

3. larich29

larich29 New Member

I gave $150.00 for the scope. I know it's not an eotech, but for $150.00, it should be able to be zeroed.

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Look into a sight mark. They're only about 100 or so. I had one on my m&p15 for awhile before I changed uppers and it shot decently for how cheap it was. Kept a solid 1.5" group with it and it help the zero. I'm sure it could be better if it was in the hands of a better shooter

5. larich29

larich29 New Member

Im not really wanting to get another scope. I would like to get this one working. I just don't understand what would cause this problem. Could the dot be moving? Seems to me that something is moving around on the scope or it would not do what its doing.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OK, lets make it simple. Fire a few shots. With the rifle locked in the rest. Adjust the dot so it comes in line w/ the strikes. You will be on target.

7. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

I've got three Strike Fires, and have never had a problem with them. If you're unable to resolve this issue, I'd suggest sending it back to Vortex. They'll either Repair it or Replace it. I've had one on my 15-22 before, and switched it to another rifle, and it still works just fine.

They are generally very good Scopes.

Curious, but do you happen to have yours on a Riser, or just the 15-22's Picatinny Rail? Can you provide a pic?

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

8. larich29

larich29 New Member

It is on the riser that comes with the AR version of the scope. I will post a pic later.

9. larich29

larich29 New Member

I just called Vortex optics, and the guy told me that that scope is not made to be set in at less than 50 yards. I don't understand that!! If I can't shoot a .22 at 20 yrds, then I don't want/need the scope. He told me I might have to set it in for 50 yrds, and just know that I will have to compensate up closer. That's just not going to work. I guess I'll have to take it back and try another one.

10. Blackbeard1718

Blackbeard1718 New Member

Hmmmm! That doesn't sound right either. I've got one Scope set for 50 yds, however, my other two are set at 25 yds, and they work just fine. That's the first I've heard, that they are not made to be set less than 50 yds. I wonder if he's referring to the Parallax-Free at 50 yds..... Here is an excerpt from the StrikeFire Owners Manual:

"Shooting the StrikeFire
    The key thing to remember when shooting with the StrikeFire
    red dot scope is to keep both your eyes open! Shooting
    with both eyes open allows you to take full advantage of the
    StrikeFire’s ability to get on target very quickly.
    Note: When using the add-on magnifi er for distance shooting, you
    may fi nd it easier to shoot with one eye closed due to the increased
    magnifi cation.
    The StrikeFire is parallax free beyond 50 yards and has less
    than 1 inch of parallax inside of 50 yards. This means that
    eye placement is not critical—as long as you can see the dot,
    you’ll hit your target!"

I'd call back sometime this week, and see if you get another Rep, that either confirms that, or tells you something different. Does he realize it's only a 1X Scope? Another... hmmmmm!

Please let us know what else you find out, if you make a follow-up call.

Thanks!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are parralex free at 50+ yards. the varience at less than 50 yards is less than 2". mine is zeroed at 25yards and drills one hole groups from 10-25 yards. what that means is if your eye relief is extreme up/down or left/right or a combo of both your shots will drift in a 2" circle around your poa.

i tested it out on mine the last range session and you gotta be way outside the eye relief for it to matter. i want to take it out rabbit hunting and wnted to see how much the parrelex affects the poi and its extremely minimal.

if it was a life and deeath shtf type application i would have sprung for a acog eotech or aimpoint.

its a non issue for a recreational 22lr

12. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Like the company rep said, 20 yds is probably too close for practical use with a scope on your gun, especially if there's over an inch or so between the height of the scope and the center of the barrel. You may have noticed that most scopes designed for a .22 sit very low on the receiver/barrel. However, the height of an optic on a 15-22 is usually a good bit more due to it's AR style design. If you think you really need a scope assist at that distance, I have no good reply for you. Instead, I'd recommend using the iron factory sight for close (less than 100 feet or so) shots and optics for longer ranges. I have the red dot and a laser on my 15-22 set so I see the iron sight through the red dot and they all zero/converge at about 30 yards. A friend has a similar setup to mine on his gun but has the laser set to zero in at 75 yards.

13. larich29

larich29 New Member

If 20-25 yards is too close, then I don't need this scope. For me, 20-30 yards Is about where I like to shoot. Whether it be at a squirrel or a rabbit or a tin can or paper targets. I just truly don't understand why a scope can't be set to the desired distance. I understand that if I set it for 20 yards there will be some dropping issues when I back up, but I think it should be able to be set in at 20 yards. Ivan afraid I got a lemon scope.

14. Howdy

Howdy New Member

Howdy,
    I also think the problem is the distance between the dot and the barrel bore. Your dot is a straight line. Your bullet trajectory is an arc. You can really have pinpoint accuracy at 2 distances of that arc. I also noticed that on mine with the red dot. The red dot is mounted too high over the bore to be really accurate except at the distance that you set it for. Have a goodun!!!!