S. Korean M1s a no go

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jpyle, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

According to The Korea Times, the Obama administration has blocked efforts by the South Korean government to sell over a hundred thousand surplus M1 Garand and Carbine rifles into the United States market. These self-loading were rifles introduced in 1926 and 1941. As rifles, they are especially well-suited to community defense in an emergency, as in the cases of community defense following Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Along with AR-15 type rifles, the M1 rifles are the quintessential firearms of responsible citizenship, precisely the type of firearms which civic responsibility organizations such as the Appleseed Project teach people how to use.

According to a South Korean official, “The U.S. insisted that imports of the aging rifles could cause problems such as firearm accidents. It was also worried the weapons could be smuggled to terrorists, gangs or other people with bad intentions.”

The Volokh Conspiracy » Obama bans over 100,000 rifles

2. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

He would :rolleyes: like 100,000 rifles is really gonna make start of a bunch of gun crimes. Lord almighty have mercy some of the excuses they are using now a five year old could combat with common sense. I've not said the about many people, but I'll say it for him. He is so weak.

3. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

those rifles are probably crap !

4. ScottG

ScottG New Member

They just know the history of those rifles, kicking Nazzi and Banzai *** and they don't want to end up like their ideological brethren....

5. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

well 100,000 rifles, theres what, like 300 million people in the country? thats not gonna start much, there is probably alot here already.

anyways if people want to go start trouble its not with some old WWII gun, more like AKs or uzis or something you know?

like someone already said they probably are crap

6. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Still, it would have been worth the look and examination of those rifles. You never know how many you can salvage from the lot.

"A total of 86,000 M1 rifles and another 22,000 carbines were to be sold, as the weapons have been mothballed for about five decades in military warehouses. The per-unit price of the M1 rifle is about $220 and the carbine is more than $140, according to the ministry."

M1 Rifle for $220, damn the average price is off the chart for one is good condition!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  7. JoeFromSidney

JoeFromSidney New Member

Tell the Koreans to keep storing those rifles. By 2013 it will be possible to sell them here.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Could the Koreans add a shade & just sell them as lamps or something, DANG!

My dad would love an M1 carbine.

9. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

It doesn't matter what condition they are in any way. The point is that they are stopping the importation of firearms. :mad:

orangello: my father as well has been lusting after a carbine for longer than I can remember :rolleyes:

10. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I really don't care but, what has Obama done to the firearms in this country now that he is president. He made it legal to carry CCW in National Parks. That whole scare after he was elected was fabricated by a bunch of loser's saying show me the birth certificate. On the website whitehouse.gov he states a mission of stopping the sales of pistol grip rifles and pistol magazines of 10 or less but that is about it. I just don't see the need to be all fearful of losing anything to this president. And anyone that gets to excited has been watching to much Glen Beck, and he makes his money by exciting the masses. It never really matters what the news casters say, they just want you to listen to their drivvel. It's SAD

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Please educate yourself and come back with a more lucid comment. Thanks

Barack Obama on Gun Control

12. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

I just read the whole article. I saw nothing to indicate BO has any intentions of removing firearms from law-abiding citizens. Am I missing something here? BTW I do not support gun control on law abiding citizens.

Actually BO would be considered conservative here in Canada from what I just read.

13. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions

• Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
    • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
    • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
    • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
    Q: Is the D.C. law prohibiting ownership of handguns consistent with an individual’s right to bear arms?
    A: As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it.

14. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Right after the election there was that firearm and ammunition ploy that ran up the prices and everything got vacant on the shelves. It was all anger and fear based. More of the anger from losing the election. I don't think it mattered who ran against McCain, Bush had been enough for the republicans.
    And now there is this talk show mentality opinion based news casters that make money from getting people excited, and most people can't see thru it and it doesn't matter what side you stand on, you lose !

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Arms Export Control Act of 1976 (22 USC 2778) prohibits their import into the US.

Military surplus firearms sold under "Lend Lease" and similar arms assistance programs cannot be imported.

There were 5.4 million M1 rifles manufactured by Springfield and other contractors.

There are millions of them in warehouses around the world. And the only market for a 10# 3006 is here in the good ole USA.

These surplus rifles scare the shit out of the DC Royals.

When your standing army's issue is a 22 cal carbine, a few rebel "riflemen" with a long gun capable of 4-500 meter kill shots off iron sights instills fear in tyrants. Tyrants are inclined to keep them out of the hands of the rebel by passing laws!

16. davemccarthy707

I didn't take the source quoted as credible. I am not saying he didn't say it but I don't see a "political awareness test" as a credible source.

Some more examples would be nice just for me to see his true colors.

-Dave

17. davemccarthy707

We'll take them here in Canada ;)
    FWIW a dealer in Canada looked at those firearms and said most were junk. Only about 50% were actually serviceable.

18. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Sometimes actions speak louder than words...

His Attorney General

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban - ABC News

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Holder: Gun control options ‘narrowed’ after high court ruling « - Blogs from CNN.com

His Supreme Court nominees

WHEN OBAMA WRESTLES WITH HELLER

Kagan Said She Was `Not Sympathetic' Toward Gun-Rights Claim - Bloomberg

19. orangello

orangello New Member

You guys are welcome to take him, but i call no take-backs.