S K S question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Gazdongreen, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Gazdongreen

Gazdongreen New Member

I found an sks rifle at a pawn shop for 250 i am new to this forum an very inexperienced when it comes to guns. Can anyone tell me what to look out for and if this is a good deal/rifle.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Buy buy buy! Right now go.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I liked 'em for $100. New. With accessories. A decent enough "I can treat it like carp" rifle actually.

Who's the maker tho? Condition!?

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Comparing an SKS to a modern AR15 is like comparing on old "International Harvester" pick up to a new Escalade...however, they work every time you pull the trigger, are easilly fitted with detachable magazines, and are more accurate than the AK.

That's a good price for any semi with .30 cal knock down power...especially in today's market.

Good Luck

Tack

5. hoovco

hoovco New Member

250? Buy that thing up. They're good rifles.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

How messed up is the metal? For $250, i wouldn't care how bad the wood was.

Get a picture up or more detailed description, please.

7. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

Turners has them for $400 this week.

8. dalesfirearm68

dalesfirearm68 New Member

good purchase price regaurdless of condition and they alway cycle even trash ammo they just eat it up great guns

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

A $100 SKS hasn't been around for quite some time.

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

It would take a lot for me to let to of mine :D

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

With any comm bloc mil-surp the wood is going to be pretty beat...some more than others. Look for repairs, splices, chips or cracks that would indicate the rifle has been dropped and potentially damaged. Recent repairs may be lighter in color, cracks may appear as a dark line. Don't expect the wood to be perfect just undamaged. If that passes your inspection check the metal for rust, corrosion, pitting...a little wear on the finish is ok but visible rust is a red flag. Check the barrel...bring a bore light...again you are looking for rust, pitting, dark spots. The bore may be dark but the rifling should be visible. All the comm bloc ammo is corrosive...if the gun has not been diligently cleaned after shooting or has been sitting in a pawn shop uncleaned the barrel will show rust...lower you bid or walk if that's the case, just my opinion of course.

For comparison, pictured is a used Norinko SKS rated at 90-100% condition...sold recently for $390.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Just about any SKS around these parts are going for 300-400. D and M models (take AK mags) are a bit higher. If I found one for 250 now I'd jump all over it pretty much no matter the condition. The aftermarket being what it is it's nothing to get parts, stocks etc and they are pretty nice little rifles with comparable cheap ammo all over the place. I like my AR and AK type rifles but there is no beating the bang for the buck of a SKS.

13. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

$250 is what I paid for mine a couple of years ago. Get it you will not regret it. Just be aware they have a short length of pull. Fine for short russian guys like me though.

14. Gazdongreen

Gazdongreen New Member

Thank you all for your help. I will go buy it an report back monday with a photo. From what i gather from your experienced input, its a decent deal whatever. How good we can determine Monday. Thanks so much again.

15. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

Buy it now and don't wait! They're going for $350 and up around here.

16. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Yes! Buy it! I bought one from J&G last year for $325 and am kicking myself for turning one down a few months ago for $285. Run, don't walk to the pawn and get that thing.

17. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I paid $169 for my SKS about 5 years ago from my LGS. I do not regret purchasing it one bit. It has went bang every time I pulled the trigger. If there is one selling for $250 now, buy it quickly.

18. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I built mine from spare parts for $200, I'd still jump all over one for $250

19. rlambert

rlambert New Member

I have a norinco and though its not my newest iI always enjoy tinking with it most of all

20. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

So, did you get it? Pictures. The nice thing about them is you can do most of the work on them yourself and not have to be a good gunsmith.