s.a. high front sight ?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mannparks, May 2, 2011.

1. mannparks

mannparks New Member

whats the deal with the front sights on most s. a. revolvers, to high , shoots low ?---charles

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'd rather have a sight too high than too low. In the case of non adjustable sights on revolvers such as the Colt Peacemaker or Ruger's Vaquero if it shoots low all you have to do is file the front sight down until it hits point of aim.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Everybody has different tastes as far as ammo is concerned.
    Some ammo shoots higher, some shoot lower. A higher front sight allows one to tailor the firearm for their ammo.

4. Poof38

Poof38 New Member

This allows you to adjust your POI to suit your tastes and ammo. Heavier bullets tend to impact higher. I have guns with sights filed and those that are stock. At combat distances, it won't matter as you could still hit a 6" plate with pretty much any load. I tend to change bullets from time to time and sell or trade now and then. Either of those factors tend to suggest to leave well enough alone for myself (filed sights would likely lower the value for example). If you shoot at longer distances or feel you have truly settled on a load, go for it.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm just guessing here but can't you just learn where to place the sights on the target to hit where you want to hit?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most Single Action revolvers come with a very high front sight. To place the the sight on the target without mods would have you aiming at the "top of the bottle shape" to come close to the middle of the target.

7. Poof38

Poof38 New Member

Of the 4 pair I have, the height just doesn't come into play enough for me to adjust 3 pair (one pair I bought were filed). If you have one pistol you have to aim at the top and one aim at the bottom or one of the sides of the target, I would absolutely get them adjusted ( who can think at speed?). Most of the targets are placed from 7-10 yds and the tall sights haven't mattered so much. YMMV.