rust

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by jon1992d, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

If a rifle has rust either a lot or a little what is the best way to remove it?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Light oil. coarse cloth, such as burlap or canvas. Let oil soak in, wet cloth w oil, rub. Change to clean spot on cloth, rub. Repeat until arm falls off, then change arms. Heavier rust, oil soak, COPPER Chore Boy pot scrubber.

Remember that bluing IS rust (black iron oxide) chemical removers, such as Naval Jelly or hydrochloric acid, will remove bluing.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

3. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Much appreciated

4. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I was using a hoppes #9 oil but it wasn't very affective.

5. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

any oil will help but you also need some kind of mechanical means to scrape it off. the COPPER Chore Boy pot scrubber is a good idea. or #0000 steel wool or any number bronze wool. thicker rust will require something tougher which will most likely also remove the bluing. some people have good luck with a new single edge razor blade and oil. if you try the blade hold at a very small angle and never turn the blade over once you start(only use one side). good luck

6. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Thanks for all the ideas =) really helped me keep my collection clean and looking great!

7. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Kroil is the best of the penetrating oils I have seen!

8. mwbonney

mwbonney New Member

rust huh

3m makes a less abrasive pad that I like to use that is white. Not sand paper acctual pad almost like the scrubing side of a sponge. I get then at the local hardwear store. That and a little penetration oil should help. If you a not a gunsmith avoid anything that has power going to it. For that I would take it to a gunsmith you trust.

9. Lebeau0

Lebeau0 New Member

I love Kroil

Agreed, Kriol the bomb. It's a little expensive, but it's worth every dime. It does a little bit of everything. I used it to remove a pressed barrel from a Savage Mark II. It didn't come out easy, but the Kroil made a word of difference.