Rust removal?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by gunnut78, Jul 27, 2012.

1. gunnut78

gunnut78 New Member

What is the best method of removing light rust from my firearms barrel exterior and receiver? Is there anything I can use so I don't damage the bluing?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Hoppes works well for removal. Clp is great for prevention.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Kano Kroil is an excellent product for rust removal and leaves a coating that protects the finish.

4. gunnut78

gunnut78 New Member

Thank you! I have used Hopps before. It does work well. Just wondering what else is out there.

5. topshot91

topshot91 New Member

You can also use a sander to remove heavy rust or corrosion

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yes but at that point a blue and rust remover is usually just as good. Welcome to FTF.

7. gunnut78

gunnut78 New Member

Thanks again for the info!

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For light rust- coat metal with a good penetrating oil (Kroil by Kano labs is the best there is, IMHO) let soak in for a few hours. Use clean coarse cloth, rub. Change to clean spot on cloth as needed- the rust on the cloth is abrasive. Repeat until arm falls off, then change hands.

For BAD rust, oil, soak, then rub lightly with a COPPER Chore-Boy scrubbing pad. Copper is softer than the steel of the gun. When you finish, gun will have a reddish tint from the copper. Dampen with oil again, and rub with clean cloth- it will come off.

Steel wool- even 0000 steel wool, will remove more bluing than the copper pot scrubber. You can also use bronze wool- hard to find, VERY pricey- Chore-Boys are in grocery stores, and Quicky Marts that sell them to dopers to stuff into crack pipes.

For OLD nickleplated guns, where the nickel is missing, and you have a rusty spot- rub with small ball of aluminum foil. Will take off rust, leave thin layer of aluminum, makes missing nickle less noticed.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That last trick is very cool. Ty c3

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No :p face :confused:

11. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

Bronze wool .... similar to 000 & 0000 steel wool ; but gentler to bluing high polish. +1 for KROIL, look at CORROSION X (IF YOU CAN FIND THE DANGED STUFF)