Firearms Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this rusting? I can’t see how it is if it hasn’t been exposed to significant moisture, any ideas? I rubbed the area with oil after letting it sit and soak in nothing came off.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Probably some slight surface rust. Skin oils, salts and moisture can cause some corrosion. Salts in leather can also attack steel a bit. With blued steel a good light oil wipe down before putting the gun away is a good practice.

nothing serious done to the handgun at this time.

Reactions: PANDEMIC

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably some slight surface rust. Skin oils, salts and moisture can cause some corrosion. Salts in leather can also attack steel a bit. With blued steel a good light oil wipe down before putting the gun away is a good practice.

nothing serious done to the handgun at this time.
Okay I’ll get some blue steel tomorrow and work on it.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Okay I’ll get some blue steel tomorrow and work on it.
you don’t need blued steel the revolver I steel and the finish is “bluing” which results in a blued steel finish. Oil must be applied pretty regularly and skin oils must be removed constantly to keep it from rusting. Just a rag and gun oil.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Stuff happens: Spotted removal from the finish can come from cleaning off lightly rusted areas with steel wool. Guns left in damp car trucks can spot like that.

Also, gun finish can be damaged by substances that will remove blue. The effect of acidic substances will cause that sort of spotting.

Point being that finish removal could be the result of several causes.. My favorite for protecting guns is RIG and/or Balistol.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I inherited a S&W model 49 Bodyguard , pinned barrel 38 snub . Hardly ever fired but carried and handled taking the revolver on and off. Samelook on the 3 & 6 o'clock position on the outer cylinder and pistol grip . Gave the revolver a good cleaning rubbed thoes areas with 0000 steel wool , Birchwood Casey bluing past , now it looks brand new . I go overboard when it comes to my guns , I want the to function 100% and be cleaned and lubed after using . Ballistol is my favorite , wife hates the smell. Hope I Helped in some way.
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts