Rust On Handgun Slide - How To Remove It?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by AceMcHammer, Jan 7, 2014.

1. AceMcHammer

AceMcHammer New Member

Smith & Wesson M&P 40 - only 200 round through it

There is no way to remove rust on the slide with either steel wool or fine grit sandpaper without screwing up the bluing and having to get it reblued is there?
    What about the green scouring pad side of a sponge?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go grocery shopping. Housewares aisle. COPPER ChoreBoy pot scrubber. Wet the slide with a good light oil (I like a product called Kroil, but use what you have) Let slide marinate for a couple of hours.

Moisten the COPPER (not copper plated steel, but COPPER) pot scrubber with some oil. Rub gently. Slide will turn a coppery color.

Take a clean soft cloth, few drops of oil. Rub slide, changing to clean spot now and again. Copper color comes off.

You CAN use steel wool, bronze wool, etc etc etc- this will do the LEAST harm to your bluing.
    Chore-Boy-Copper-Pads-300x276.jpg

3. therukh

therukh New Member

Make sure, as c3shooter said, to keep oil on both the slide and the metal wool. Rub slowly, evenly and gently. I've seen it do wonders to all kinds of blued steel guns, parts, scopes, rings, etc.

4. AceMcHammer

AceMcHammer New Member

Thanks yall. I will try the copper.

I am so pissed this thing got rust on it. It's practically a brand new gun. It's only got like 200 rounds through it. I bought it in Nov. 2008 right after the communist queer got elected.

5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Using oil with the wool will create a slurry of iron oxide (rust) that is abrasive and actually can remove bluing pretty easily.
    Using it dry, you can wipe the removed rust particles away. When finished, then oil and wipe with a soft cloth to remove the residual rust.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Given that you have only run 200 rounds through the gun I would shoot it until the rust comes off.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A handgun like it's owner will start showing it's age. You should both bear your scares with pride.:D

8. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Lemme get this straight. You bought a new gun and haven't even looked at it in five years?:eek:

9. AceMcHammer

AceMcHammer New Member

Nah, I had it out of the case and was looking at it about 4 or 5 months ago, but didn't see any rust on it then. It looked like it had a good sheen of oil on it. The side that rusted is the side that lays down in the foam in the case. The foam must have absorbed all the oil and allowed moiture to get in. I guess I got a damp house.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It's a well known fact that is you store steel or iron in styrofoam without the proper protection it will rust. Spend $5 on a silicone gun sock.

We had a guy in here a while back who could afford an $800 pistol but he couldn't afford a case or a range bag. You remind me of that guy.

11. AceMcHammer

AceMcHammer New Member

I couldn't even afford the pistol. I bought it on a credit card.

Didn't know about the silicone gun socks. I can deffinitely afford a $5 gun sock.

12. AceMcHammer

AceMcHammer New Member

I could't even afford the pistol. I bought it on a credit card.

I didn't know about the foam issue or about the silicone gun socks. I can definitely afford a $5 gun sock.

13. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Never store a gun in a case with a foam liner. The cases are for transport, not storage.
    Now you know why!

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

WD40 came out with a new rust release penetrating oil that works very well. I have not had to use it on guns but it has done wonders on some steel bolts and gears. It is different than the regular WD40 and in a different colored can. Lowes carries it. CLP also works.