Rust Blueing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Fisherking, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Hi all I have a few recipies for rust blueing solutions and they all call for Horseshoe nails wire nails ect. I was wondering if I could substatute Iron fillings. That way I will not get any unwanted aloys.EG crome tin zinc.
    Thanks in advanceF.K.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep- stay away from anything that is galvanized (zinc).

Altho my smith does some very nice rust bluing on older doubles, and uses nothing but a bit of steam in a cabinet- as in a vaporizer in a large box. The real key seems to be not in how it rusted, but how the rust is carded.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I have to admit-you're ahead of me on this 1-I use the rust bluing chemicals already bottled from Brownells. I havn't tried making my own "cocktail". No more rust bluing than I do it's a lot easier to just buy the rust bluing solution. The Modern Gunsmith book has some recipes in it I believe if I'm correct-it's been a LONG time since I read anything like that.

4. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Ya I would Like to buy them too but Brownells will only ship Larel Mountain Forge into Canada so I'm limited to what I can use . so I figured I would try the recipes .
    So do you think I could substatute iron fillings for horse shoe nails?
    Thanks F.K.

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have always used a temp controlled humidity cabinet and proper carding until I achieve the results I want. It has never failed me and I get beautiful results..

Jim.............

6. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

So no acid mix just the humidity cabinet?
    I shold look for a used cigar humidor
    F.K.