Russian SKS Question

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by blitzen25cat, Oct 16, 2013.

1. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I picked up a Russian SKS today in a trade. All told I have $75 in this SKS. Does the Russian SKS have a spring loaded firing pin? The Chi-Com's that I've owned had a free floating firing pin.I just need to know as this Russian is all matching except a lined out stock. I know I got a good deal...just wondering about the firing pin. Regards Dick.

2. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Russian SKS carbines had spring loaded firing pins until the early 50's. I am not sure about the Chinese. Most likely they followed the Soviet revision.

3. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Thank you Mercator. This has a 1950 date and the bolt and carrier numbers match to the receiver. A buddy of mine said the 1950 dated guns are a lot harder to find and I got very lucky to find this one. I've had Norinco's and a few Yugo's but prefer the Russian due to it being the original Simanov design. My friend knows a lot about the sks and can't believe that I stumbled into this deal. Did I really get that good of a deal....sure would like to know if the guns dated 1950 are really that hard to come by. Thanks in advance for your comments. Best regards Dick

4. orangello

orangello New Member

5. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The one you got is near collectible (most other SKS are shooters only) Especially if it has no repair marks, such as a number punched out next to a new one. That, and assuming it functions flawlessly, makes it a real winner. Congrats. In 1952 they already had free floating firing pins.

6. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

Ya my 1950 has a free floater.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

A little off the timeline I knew. 1951 was the year when the pin floated. But who knows, Soviet military records were secret before and are murky today.