Russian Revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Chucklz97, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Chucklz97

Chucklz97 New Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Unless your mom is a weight lifter, is on the Women's Shot Put Team from Estonia, and has a crushing handshake- that is PROBABLY not the gun for her.

The Nagant revolver has a rather unique action- as it cocks, the cylinder is moved FORWARD, sealing over the end of the barrel. While this really reduces cylinder gap flash, and improves velocity, it has the effect of creating a REALLY rough trigger pull. Many of these are double action only, and the ammo can be a little difficult to find locally (you ain't)

3. unclebear

unclebear New Member

plus there are way better options ballistic wise esp for home defense, hunting, or really anything. Probably be better off getting 45, 9mm, 38 special, or maybe even a 357 mag if she can handle it. The nagant revolver isn't a bad revolver they're just not great for some people, if shes just wanting something like a target pistol and she's really sensitive to recoil taurus makes a tracker in 17hmr, not awesome for defense but better then a 22lr (in my opinion).

If you ever want a silenced revolver a nagant would be the way to go because of the gas sealing system.

4. Chucklz97

Chucklz97 New Member

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

It's definitely a revolver that goes good with Mosin Nagant rifle though.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

They do/did have some police trade-in .38's for about $150 at J&G, Taurus's. That would be a good basic self defense firearm. Most complaints i've heard about Tauri related to a problem that surfaced right away, so the cops who carried these probably already had that problem fixed.

7. cuate

cuate New Member

I got my first Russian 1895 Nagant (1944 Model) from a pal at a pawnshop, had been laying somewhere in some water and rusted some on one side, missing firing pin, ejector rod, spring & screw as well as grip screws. Found these parts at "Buymilsurp.com" and got it together minus the rust and with a dab of 44-40 Cold Blue...It had a weird cylinder but I fired a few .32 Short cartridges. The cylinder was worn and wouldn't index into battery without a helping hand. I later learned the cylinder was an after market .32 Auto one and I fired a few of those.

I liked this antique Russian revolver and had my pal order me one that was advertised to be in super condition, it was. It was made in 1932 and had been refurbed and was great in every way. It fired 7.62X38r ammo and I found some Privi ammo in a local gun store. And these two Nagants are great looking, fun to shoot and although no real powerful caliber, they could be lethal with well placed shots. And I now reload the fired Privi brass using 30 Carbine dies. I use regular small pistol primers, 3.5 grains of IMR Trail Boss gunpowder and Hornady XTP .32 caliber jacketed hollowpoints resized to .309 with a Lee resizer. I used borrowed Lee 30 Carbine dies but bought some RCBS 30 Carbine dies I like better. These pistols are accurate !