Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Devin556, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I just acquired on in excellent condition and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts was generally about these rifles and also I was thinking about sporterizing it. Any and all comments welcome good or bad.

2. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Sorry. Mosin, not mosing.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

If its in great condition I wouldn't chop it up. Buy after one beat to hell. I've for a 1934 IZzy hex that is a decent shooter. Fun to shoot for sure, ammo is cheap. I like them

What year is your rifle? What plant?

4. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I'm not sure what plant or how to tell. I know nothing about the rifles. It is a 1943 though. That's stamped just below the hammer and sickle on top.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

mosins are russians gifts to us. they are cheap rifles, with cheap ammo. they pack a punch and a lot of them are reasonably accurate still. or can be made so. i regret selling mine and wim sure more will arrive in my future. as far as sportrizing one... you will get people on boths sides of the fence. some want to keep them all origanle as possiable. others want to make a nice newer styled, hunting or target rifle. i say buy a few of them. make one sporterized if thats what you want. and keep the others original.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

please, for the love of all that is holy, don't chop it up, at least not in such a way that it can't be restored to it's original condition!!!

7. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I was only gonna cut the stock. Leave the barrel factory length. But I don't know. I can't decide.

8. kytowboater

Get a Monte Carlo stock. If you want to go back stick just replace it with the original again.

9. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I just got the rifle about 3 hours ago so I'm throwing ideas around in my head about what I wanted to do with it. What's a gun like this worth?

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

about what you paid for it... probly less. lol

11. kytowboater

What did you pay for it?

12. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Always a comedian in the group. Lol

13. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I got 125 in it. Came with the cleaning kit in its pouch and rod, double ammo pouch and bayonet.

14. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

It's worth what you paid for it, my advice re stain the stock at most and have a blast with it. Pun intended! There a lot of fun.

15. kytowboater

Those sell for $100 here. You still did alright though. Clean it and shoot the heck outta it.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

the 91/30 goes for anywhere between $75 and $200, depending on arsenal, year, condition, location of sale, and how much the buyer is willing to pay.

I spent over two hours hand picking mine. Invested a total of $180 with the accessories you mentioned, minus the ammo pouches, plus a spam can.

17. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I completely restored mine (the best I could in my own). I also shimmed and polished the trigger. I hear they're sighted in with the bayonet and you will get better accuracy firing it with the bayonet attached. You can get one for 10 bucks, but it isn't going to have the matching serial numbers.

The really cool thing, is you can use bing to look up all the markings on your rifle and figure out its life story.

Mine was built in Russia in 1940, as a training rifle, then got used in ww2, where the stock was damaged from God knows what, then sent to another Eastern European country to get fixed, sent back to battle, where it was probably captured and cosmolined up. You can learn all that by the markings stamped in the stock and receiver.

Cool little rifles!!!

18. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

How can I figure out what arsenal mine came from?

19. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

20. snyder77

snyder77 New Member

I also have 1934 hex Izzy