Russian Mig sighted

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by stratrider, Mar 31, 2014.

1. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I was standing outside, cleaning up my Jeep when suddenly, I heard the roar of a jet. I looked north and there was a Korean era, Russian Mig flying really fast, just above the tree tops, heading south. This was at 19:17hrs CST. There are no air shows in the area that I'm aware of and there are no airports south of here that can accommodate a jet. Strange. I'm taking my tin foil hat off now. Below is an example of the plane I saw, same markings too.
    [​IMG] I'm just wondering why he'd be flying so low, at this time of the evening :confused:

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
    better dead than red

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

April Fools rehearsal :D

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I see Migs all the time in Germany. East German ones of course. The Migs have a distinct sound. I can tell right away.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Why not?

Ok... in reality, the likely minimum altitude would be 500' above the highest obstacle in the area. I'm pretty certain just about every pilot has broke that rule at least once. There is nothing quite like low altitude watching the world go by in a wooshhhh. Even more fun in a jet.

And Russian jets are probably the most popular jet warbirds that civilians buy.

6. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Scott, I know you're a pilot, so maybe you can answer this? Just to my south (the direction this jet was traveling) there is a small, country airport. Today was a gorgeous day and usually there are planes coming and going from that airport. I'm just wondering if a plane has to call ahead before "buzzing" an airfield or passing really close by, especially at a low altitude like this plane was at?

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

8. stratrider

stratrider New Member

9. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

No problem.

We have the double eagle airport near the city range and on the weekend WWI and WWII aircraft come out flying on the clear days and the wind is light.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

And I seriously thought it was a joke. Looked it up, sure enough, you can have a late production MiG 17 for $75 K.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If it's a non-controlled airport (no control tower), pilots are required to keep other pilots informed of their activity around airports through a common radio frequency called unicom. In fact, most of the flying that goes on in the USA is the responsibility of pilots talking to other pilots, not necessarily air traffic control. It's a pretty effective self-policed system.

And it probably costs that much each year following just to keep it flying. Old warbirds are a very, very, VERY expensive hobby.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Always like the looks of the Migs , would like to take a flight in one