Russian Ammunition

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sausn2002, Aug 12, 2009.

1. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I've noticed there are mixed opinions of Rifle Ammunition imported from Russia. I've seen reviews that say that this kind of ammunition is "too dirty", this ammunition "makes my gun jam, and it doesn't feed right", the quality of the ammunition is poor "cartridges just fell apart after it came in the mail", and more.

I personally have had somewhat success shooting it through my .308 WIN CETME rifle. By my experience I'm not sure of the overall accuracy because I shot about 20 rounds in an indoor range that went up to 25 yards. The rounds did seem a bit dirtier than usual, but that could just be because of the delayed blowback the CETME has.

What's everyones take on generally imported Russian ammunition here?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Under normal circumstances I will not use steel cased ammo in guns that were not designed for it. The SKS and AK work just fine with such ammo.

The CETME was designed for the thick brass cased NATO ammo. I have way too much money invested in the HK and CETME to risk using cheap ammo.

You would not put 87 octane gas in your Corvette, would you? It would run, but you run the risk of damaging it.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Isn't some of that surplus ammo labeled "corrosive"? I don't even put that in my SKS; i think it requires a bit more cleaning & more promptly. Brown bear is as dirty as i'll go & that is in an SKS, not an expensive rifle.

4. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Most of the ammo I get is off of CheaperThanDirt.com and all the Russian ammo I see on there claim they are non-corrosive. I honestly haven't shot Silver Bear (steel) through my CETME, but I have shot the Brass bullets, and they seem to have great performance. I assume that these rounds and Russian rounds are dirtier in general, but it's hard for me to tell because my CETME gets dirty after use due to it's Blowback. I've seen alot of reviews on this kind of ammo that people claim it's dirty.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You would be wise to consider any ammo that originates from behind the former steel curtain (not Pittsburg) to be at least mildly corrosive. Corrosive is not a huge deal, just clean it thoroughly ASAP. Corrosive primers seem to have a longer shelf life than others.

6. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Good point. I can't be completely sure of that ammo. I always clean my gun the same day I shoot it. Indeed it is dirtier ammo, and I personally think that that ammo has high performance at a cheap price.

I didn't think of the corrosive ammo lasting longer on the shelf.

How long does a typical round of ammo last anyways?:confused:

7. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

75 to 100 years......... Really ammo may have a longer shelf life than we do.:D

8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Anything named after an animal is dirty. Wolf, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, etcetera, will function in AKs, SKSs, just fine.

If you have a torture test gun, Glock, XD, etcetera, again, functions just fine.

Surplus, as others have said, is almost always corrosive. Depending on the caliber, alot of it is loaded a hair hotter than commercial stuff.

Lacquer is an enemy. Lacquer coating, while protecting the round past the end times, heats up and eventually gums up. Often times a b***h to get out of your gun.

If you shoot, you can't beat the price.

Wolf, while filthy, goes bang and is alot of fun, and mostly reliable, too.

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Break down and buy some quality american made .308 and run an accuracy comparison. You will soon discover why anything made in Russia or third world country's is cheap. I would never put that garbage through any of my guns except for my SKS, which is cheap and inaccurate and perfectly suited for cheap inaccurate ammo!

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

All that there is the gospel truth, amen. :)

Jack

11. layton

layton New Member

well, on my first 1000 round purchase of 45, all I could really find was WOLF 230gr. I have had no FTF with it and my xd eats it good, I have since got 2000 rounds of speer, seem as though ammo is getting easier to find.

My locale range got an order of Nato 7.62 in from Italy and they want $364.00 for 250 rounds I believe.

Layton

12. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Right on :eek:

13. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I didn't know that Lacquer was that bad. I'll have to avoid it. As a matter of fact, I have to make sure I don't have any of that crap, LOL. :eek:

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Another potential problem associated with steel cased ammo is the way it behaves in your chamber. Brass being much softer expands more rapidly and more completely. This means it grips the chamber walls much tighter than than steel. Why is this important? Because if a case does not form a temporary weld with the chamber walls, it is free to slam back into the bolt face at the peak of the pressure curve. Doing this repeatedly will cause damage to the bolt face and possibly the extractor.

15. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

16. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Wolf Black Box is lacquer free. Wolf Military Classic, the Brown Bear, lacquer rich.

The temptation to get the Military Classic with it's cool camo box should be accompanied with a bottle of acetone or nail polish remover.

Your camo box Man points are negated by your Emo nail polish points.

Black Box.:cool:

17. layton

layton New Member

Well, that is what I bought, the black box, steel case, boxer primed, non corrosive,230gr, so guess I lucked out buying sight unseen.

Layton

18. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

whoops. I think I got some brown bear.

19. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

dirty

I am not sure this is true so you take your pick.powder made from wood chips is dirtier than powder made from cotton.they do make the two.

20. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Are you serious?! Wow! :eek: That sounds bad. I've never researched it after all.