Rurger LCP .380

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CipsterX, Mar 31, 2012.

1. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Bought this pistol today!

Very happy with this .380 very comfortable in the hand. Was looking at the Sig 238, Kel Tec PF-9, and the Karh p.380.

Met in the middle and bought the Ruger with a nice Uncle Mikes IWB holster.

That's it just wanted to share this

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Nice...

Long trigger pull took some getting used to. It's a handful, took me 10 rounds before I hit the paper at 30', but, it's not a target firearm :)

3. ajbeau

ajbeau New Member

have the LCP 2yrs. perfect edc gun. No matter what i wear i can carry this no problem. I do most of my practice at 15-20 feet. Point and shoot keeping all 7 rounds in a 6 in bull.
    When i can dress differently i like to carry my keltekp11. Gives me a little more firepower and 11 rounds. One note though, LCP is ALWAYS in my wallet holster even if p11 is on me. (gotta admit, i shoot better with LCP.)

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

The LCP is a top selling pistol for more than one reason and it isn't a dirt cheap price. They are reliable pistols. In addition the are so light and compact... For me, .380 is too light a round as a first choice defensive but it has done the job for many a would be victim... You might take a look at Buffalo Bore offerings in some variety of a wad cutter or flat nose... I find the opening of the .380 to be small enough on many JHPs that it clogs with denim or fabric as it hits a target and then it acts like a lightweight fmj round. I personally would do a TON of research before settling on my defensive round...

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I seriouisly considered an LCP but ended up with the Sig P238. Enjoy your gun. I think it was a good choice. I liled the trigger pull better on the Sig and I liked that it had a safety. You sure can't beat the LCP for size and weight, though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

For sure.

All the research I've done points to a good FMJ round to achieve adequate penetration as the best choice for a self-defense round in .380.

I, too, have the Ruger LCP with a Crimson Trace LaserGuard, and it fits nicely in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster for those days when my XD isn't a feasible carry option.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I find that with an LCP 380 one would have to consider the ammo regarding season.
    In the summer I use JHP that won't clog up with threads of heavier clothing, and
    in the wintry months use FMJ that penetrates through such clothing worn.

8. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

I plan on experimenting with different defense ammo so far it's ran everything smooth I also carry it +one the trigger pull is so long I feel very safe

9. winds-of-change

Okay, seriously. How "wintery" does it ever get in Florida? ;)

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Once every twelve years. ;)

11. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Sounds reasonable to me...

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I hate shooting mine, that trigger is impossible to get use to. Makes me extremely inaccurate with it at even 10ft, and nowhere near the target at 50. I've got about 300 rounds through it, need to take it only my next trip shooting so I cant switch because i hate it so much. Force myself to get acquainted.

13. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

If you are that uncomfortable with it find a different carry gun. If its not an issued gun you're required to carry get something that works better for you. You might carry it for 10 years and never need it but if you do need it and haven't practiced with it because you hate you may find yourself in a world of hurt.

14. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I agree they're no fun to shoot. You've got enough rounds through yours by now that it should have met the reliability test, and, if so, I'd practice at 7 yards and under enough to achieve center-of-mass hits, and leave the range shooting for another gun.

Shoot it now and then and keep the volume down to comfortable trigger-finger levels.

15. winds-of-change

I agree, those small 'pocket pistols' are not really for the range. I consider them for 7 yards, self defense sort of shooting. The long trigger pull wasn't so bad for me as I have a Ruger GP100 and that has a loooong trigger pull, too. I didn't choose the LCP but it was a tough choice. It's a nice, lightweight, very small gun. I still may end up getting one in my future.

16. CipsterX

CipsterX New Member

Shot just a little over 100 rounds through mine just to get comfortable with the lcp ran hydro-shok and blazer brass. Not a single malfunction. Don't plan on shooting it for a while. Like others have said it's not a range gun but is fun to train with.

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah, it's more than reliable, just the accuracy that bothered me, but last outting (yesterday) I performed much better keeping it within 20ft. Just need to shoot more often with it is all.

18. armed1212

armed1212 New Member

I've had mine now 2yrs and I like it, i put alot of rounds turn it already so now I when I go to the range I just run a few mags turn it and done. What I've done to help my abiltiy to shoot is praticing with snap caps at home, muscle memory is important with this gun. Knowing where the trigger break is and the reset in key. Get to know her I say and u will see the difference.