Rugers!!!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Sonic82, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

A Great Day!

I visited my uncle yesterday, a retired State Trooper who turns 77 this year. He had just bought a S&W Governor and we gave it a test run. I liked the Governor, we fired a few .410’s and .45 LC’s through it. I know it and the Judge are getting a bad rap for being a bit of a trendy, fad gun. I found it to be an effective weapon and suitable for home defense, which is why he bought it. And it was fun to shoot.

As my wife and I were ready to head home, my Uncle brought out two Ruger Single Action .22’s. A Single-Six in very nice condition that he thinks was manufactured in 1962. The other, a near pristine condition Bearcat that he believes was made in 1958. He also had a S&W State Trooper Commemorative edition .357 he showed me…I think it was a K frame.

I didn’t pay much attention to the S&W because he said “ I’m giving these two Rugers to you as a gift” and I was then entirely focused on them. This was a big surprise to me and a really wonderful gift from my Uncle. He’s been married for over 40 years, but they never had children…. I feel very fortunate.

If anyone can tell me if the dates are accurate on the revolvers I’d appreciate it. The Bearcat is a 6 digit serial number with no letters and the Single-Six is also 6 digits beginning with a 4.

I bought the Advertisement shown below for the Bearcat off Ebay last night for $7. It’s supposedly an original Ad from a magazine in 1958. I intend to mount the gun with the Ad in a glass case that I’ll make and then hang it near my fireplace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am so darned jealous. Your Uncle is a wonderful man and have fun with those new guns.

4. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Nice. Handing down firearms for men is like women handing down diamonds.. Cherish those Rugers.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Man I'd like to have a bear cat.
    That is a really cool gift.

6. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes...very cool! I can't thank my Uncle enough.

Thanks everyone....I finished the display box. Once I gathered the materials it took about a day to complete. I cheated and used a picture frame fo the lid. I also found some epoxy coated peg board hangers at Home Depot....they fit this little gun perfectly and were gun metal in color...a great find. Now to find a wall that suits my wife...that will be the hard part ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mcb

mcb New Member

Beautiful!!!! Congratulations:)

8. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Thanks...I know it's no Colt Single Action Army, but it's believed to be made in 1958 and I'm waiting on Ruger to verify that. If so, it makes it a first production year pistol of a model that has come and gone and come back again, for some 50+ years. In decent shape, I've seen them ask up to $6-700. When my son is my age it should be valued even more. The only thing that could make it better is if the original box and papers came with it.

9. 3spur

3spur New Member

Beautiful gun

10. m72law

m72law New Member

very nice!!! Sonic82

i hope if your uncle calls you for anything,you'll be there with bells on;)

11. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Yes...and the whole time I'm visiting, I'll be working on him for that Smith and Wesson .357 'State Trooper' Commemorative Edition I left behind :D

12. GearedUp

GearedUp New Member

CHRISTmas come early! Congrats, very nice family heirloom.

13. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Terrific gift! Unc must be a pretty good guy!

14. Halwg

Halwg New Member

When I'm 77, I'll probably do the same for my nephews. Somebody is going to have to own my guns before I die!

15. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Thanks...I failed to welcome you...I saw your Single-Ten in introduction post...great looking gun, I really like the stainless models as well. Too many guns and not enough funds ;)

16. 3spur

3spur New Member

Seems like your pretty familiar with Rugers, just wondering what you think of the SR9?

17. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Actually, I am not all that familiar with Rugers. What I do know is that they have excellant customer service. They have many tried and true models. They are, in general, tough as nails. Lately, they have become very innovative in their product line and they have a good price point. I think the SR9 is a good quality pistol however,I don't have first hand experience. Maybe you should post the question and solicite opinions in the semi-auto area. Or do a search in the forum...there may all ready be a thread on the subject.