Ruger's NEW .327 Federal Magnum

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mark F, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I handled a Ruger SP101 .327 Federal Magnum yesterday. While it was "nice", I didn't get that un-controllable urge to buy it. It was a stainless steel frame with a 3 1/16" barrel. Personally, I believe it's grossly over-rated. The salesman was putting some sales pitch BS on me about how the .327 compares to a .357 Magnum.

There IS NO comparision, PERIOD.

The salesman would have gotten a better responce from me IF he would have expounded on the MERITS of the .327 itself, instead of comparing it to something it isn't.

He told me... it (the 327) has 85% the power, and 20% less recoil than a .357 Magnum. I told him... Gee, MY .357 Magnum has 100% the power of a .357 Magnum, and it has 20% less felt recoil with my Hogue Soft Grips. That shut down the "salesman". He just didn't know enough about the actual .327 Federal Magnum capabilities. There are times I really dislike salesmen... This was one of those times.

OK, I'm sure this is a very nice wheelgun. And Ruger certainly makes quality stuff. But for $489.00?... thanks, I'd rather spend that money on something else.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I predict it will be a historical footnote like the 9mm Federal. Do you remember that one?

.327 Federal mag might just as easily be called the .32 H&R super mag. .32 H&R mag? Does anyone still have one? Small bore handguns are not very popular in America. This was a move that would have worked better in Europe where marginal calibers are the norm. Any caliber that does not start with a "4" is not considered viable in the US. I guess criminals in the US are tougher that European thugs (and ruffians, and hooligans and nare-do-wells)

3. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

I agree, think this one will fall off the scope in the near term I love the response you gave the salesman "has 100% of the power" too funny. Maybe when the price comes down to 120 bucks, Ill go get one (and a 7.65 FEG).
    regards

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

There is talk about a Lever action carbine in .327 Mag. That would be interesting. If that happens, the revolver would be a nice addition.

5. Mark F

Yes sir,

I went back today, and the salesman puts the Ruger .327 in front of me on the counter. I guess he was "thinking" I changed my mind... I told him I'm not in the market for a "pea shooter" today.

Anyway, I doubt this cartridge will make much of a splash with handgun devotee's. HOWEVER, it would make a GREAT lever action varmint shooter!

I did check out a BUSHMASTER 450 today... What a BEAST!

6. supergus

supergus New Member

But you still get ballistics approaching .357 mag #'s in a smaller package. I know you can get a J-frame in .357 mag but that's not a real joy to shoot for any length of time, plus you get one more round. This may be a good middle of the road revolver for some. And you can shoot all the cheaper .32 calibers in it too, for practice or plinking.(.32 mag, .32 H&R, .32 LR). I'm just sayin'...:eek:

7. supergus

supergus New Member

But you still get ballistics approaching .357 mag #'s in a smaller package. I know you can get a J-frame in .357 mag but that's not a real joy to shoot for any length of time, plus you get one more round. This may be a good middle of the road revolver for some. And you can shoot all the cheaper .32 calibers in it too, for practice or plinking.(.32 mag, .32 H&R, .32 LR). I'm just sayin'...:eek: BTW one local shop has it for $450 and another for $439. You can tell that gun shop you were at to go pound sand.

8. Mark F

Yeah, it might be a fun plinker. 32's have been around for a long time.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

.327 lever gun? That sounds cool. A modern .32-20.

10. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I, for one, can't get overly enthusiastic about a hot .32 caliber. Around the turn of the Twentieth Century, it looked as if the .32-20 revolver would be THE police revolver, but was edged out by the .38 Special. Why? Bullet weight.

Despite published ballistic data about muzzle energy and velocity, its still the heavier bullet that has the momentum to get to the heart of the matter.

Bob Wright

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Actually I have been looking for 1 of the discontinued ruger super single six in .32 h&r mag with the adjustable sight and 6.5" barrel to use with cast bullets for plinking and small game hunting. If I find 1 I'll likely rechamber it to .327 just for the versatility.

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I think it's an interesting load with more power than the currently popular .380's , .25 auto's, and 9mm. It fills a niche with those of us who prefer to carry smaller guns, and provides the unrivaled reliability of the revolver.

13. seedy

seedy Member

I've reloaded for my Ruger SSM with half jacketed M-1 Carbine (110 gr.) bullets when I first bought the gun and the selection of availible bullets in the mid 1990's was not very good. They were sized at .308 but they were acceptably accurate in the Ruger. The 327mag has about the same ballistics as the old broomhandle Mauser, the Tok or the CZ52. all were okay military guns with okay stopping power. What I would hate to do with the 327 mag is shoot it indoors. It would probably deafen you for a week.CD

14. Mark F

Maybe there will be some demand for the new Federal 327 Magnum! Personally, I'm not interested in it... I already have too many calibers to re-load now! 32 caliber just doesn't seem to be worth it for me. I have a 17 HMR for plinking and it works great.

15. 00buck

00buck New Member

To each their own

I personally love my taurus model 327. I have carried a S&W air weight in 38 special for years and wanted something with a little more punch in a small package. The 357 was too much recoil for me in a snubnose revolver and I didnt want an auto loader. So I was excited when the 327 was produced.
    I can shoot the american eagle 100 gr softnose ammo with an advertised 500 foot pounds of energy and speeds of 1500 fps. with a lot less recoil than the 357 and with a price of around $22 for a box of 50 whats not to love. I think the 327 federal mag will be around a long time.
    Catch on.........

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Bet they would be perfect for small game hunting when shot out of an accurate fairly long barreled Ruger single six with mild loaded cast bullets. And you could use the hotter jacketed bullet loads for yotes.