Ruger vs. S&W

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by RedlineLeatherWorkz, Nov 21, 2012.

1. RedlineLeatherWorkz

RedlineLeatherWorkz New Member

Ok let me get an opinion from some of u revolver guys.....my wife is wanting a hammer less snub nose to carry in her purse. Ruger LCR .38 or S&W Airweight .38?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Both are great guns but i'm a Smith guy :cool:
    Every S&W i've shot had a better DA pull over any Ruger i've shot-

3. cluznar

cluznar New Member

Hard call, those are two very good guns. Try and let her shoot them first if possible.

4. RedlineLeatherWorkz

I personally like them both but I didn't really care for the 9lb trigger on the S&W and she liked the longer grip on the LCR

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Rugers are built like tanks and have about that much finesse also. Rugers are good tools. S&Ws and Colts are classics.

6. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Like Hossfly says, both are great guns. I however, am a Ruger man when it comes to revolvers.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

If the smith has a frame mounted lock avoid it. Numerous instances of them locking themselves under recoil. Either disable it or dont buy one with the sw lock.

8. RedlineLeatherWorkz

Thanks guys for ur input....I looked today at a S&W Bodyguard .38 with the factory side mount laser. Is it worth the extra $30 over the LCR .38?

9. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I still would encourage shooting them first or at the very least, having your wife make the pick based on comfort. It really does come down to preference/grip/recoil etc. At that point, one having a beam on it wont matter if the fit isn't right.

10. RedlineLeatherWorkz

Cattledog I agree completely, I was just looking for a lil more info on them and maybe some personal experiences....

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'd say yes-
    Had a 642 with CT grips- Best revolver for a carry piece i ever had-

12. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I'm a Ruger man myself, so Im already biased. That said, I'd trust my life to an S&W anyday. ....'cept for that frame mounted lock thing Jon mentioned. hadn't heard that before. Though it does illustrate why I firmly believe that the best safety on a firearm is my trigger finger. All that other crap can fail.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

All due respect that finger can really fuk you up :eek:

14. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Noted. merely expressing the training=safety vs. safeties=complacency argument. Several other threads on the subject. I won't get into it here.

Get the Ruger:D

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If we are talking small .38 revolvers, forget the plastic crap and get the real deal. S&W has perfected the J Frame long before the LCR was even an idea in someone's mind.

16. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I would go with "plastic crap". I did and never looked back. So far, every body that has shot my LCR has preferred it over the S&W. 2 of my friends own the S&W but like my LCR better. I shot both quite a bit and found I enjoyed shooting the LCR a lot more after 50 rounds. My wife has no problem shooting a couple hundred rounds with it. Both are great, but the LCR has a better trigger and better grips in my mind. Shoot both side by side and you will see. If its for your wife, consider getting the .357, and shooting .38s out of it. It's a little more comfortable that way as well. Good luck deciding.

17. LeadSlanger

LeadSlanger New Member

I prefer the LCR. I own both, the .357 and the .38. That are great little revolvers. I don't think the bodyguard is worth the extra for the laser because the laser is not activated by a pressure switch. If, God forbid, she ever has to use it, she won't have time to turn on the laser. Crimson trace lasers are the only kind made IMO. The trigger pull on the LCR is also really nice.

Also, they may not ever have any problems with them, but the LCR has a lock on it too. I think some people don't even know that.

18. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Both are great but that LCR is perfect, it's fantastic, I have all three offerings, they are so light and rugged and comfortable, just can't say enough good things about them and all the women around me have shot it and love it.

19. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I just bought a SW 442. I really like it. The trigger pull is long, but I got some snapcaps and dry fire every chance I get. I also really like the lcr and I will also get that gun soon. I like the trigger better on the lcr, but I got a great deal in the smith w/out the lock.

20. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

That's a good point about the trigger on the LCR it's absolutely perfect, you want to pull it before you buy if you can, if the shop or dealer will allow you to dry fire it, now the .22 is much stiffer than the .38 or .357 because of the force the rimfire needs but the .38 trigger pull is amazing but it's important to note and I tested when my son was six, he was able to pull it without much effort at all so while it's long there is a disadvantage to having such an easy trigger pull but that's only a concern if your not safely storing it around little people but of course you want a holster that has trigger protection.