Ruger vs Barrett vs Henry vs T/C

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Greg_r, Apr 1, 2018.

1. T/C Encore Pro Hunter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Henry Single Shot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ruger Hawkeye Predator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Barrett Fieldcraft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

Never really had any really nice rifles in my life. On the hunt for a nice rifle to last out my days. The rifles on my list are all chambered for 308 Winchester. Most of my past experience has been with the H&R Single shot, so I am comfortable with that platform. But I am thinking bolt action as well. Limit to spend is 1K. Choices are T/C Encore. images.jpeg
    Henry Single Shot. henry-wisconsin-h015308-rifles_1.jpg
    Ruger Predator. 47123.jpg

One rifle I have always been fond of is the Barrett Fieldcraft. But at nearly twice of my self imposed limit, it has been out of the picture. I do really like this rifle though. Barrett_Fieldcraft_1440x381_2.jpg

Anyways, the LGS says he can work with me on a payment plan. He has offered 20% down, and 20% per month until the balance is paid. This is doable. I will own the rifle in about 6 months. Thinking hard about this one.
    https://barrett.net/firearms/fieldcraft/

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Might want to look at a Ruger #1 if you like the look of a single shot, I'd love to have one someday.

3. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I am fond of the Ruger #1 as well. My experience with them, however has them lacking accuracy wise. All the rifles I listed will do 1 MOA or less. The #1 is a touch behind that. Sometimes well behind that.

I have personal experience with the T/C, #1, and the Hawkeye. Relying on reviews of the Henry and the guarantee on the Barret.

4. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have an old Handi Rifle I bought my son when he was a pup and he never really took to hunting. Ive used it on occasion and love it. Its a .243 topped with a Burris FFII 3X9 and using Remington Cor-Lokt 100gr ammo it will shoot 1.5" groups. Probably shoot better with better ammo. I bought a few boxes when I bought him the gun and Im still using it. Its very light and believe it or not, handy! All that said, I like Henry rifles and would love to try one out. Also have shot a T/C Encore and like it. Its much nicer than the Handi-Rifle but it costs about twice as much if not more.

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The Ruger #1's accuracy issues are usually 98% solved by putting an adjustable forend hanger adapter on it, bedding, & working up a pet load. If you're thinking about bolt action, I'd suggest you try to find a remaining new (old stock) Browning A-bolt 2 (around $500), and barring finding 1 in your chosen chambering, check out the Ruger American (around $400-$450). Both have true tang safeties, 3 locking lugs, detachable mags, and will perform well beyond what the modest prices would seem to indicate. That would leave you with enough to put decent glass on it without busting your budget wide open.

6. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Dont the Savage bolt actions have a thumb safety?
    Out of the box accurate too.

7. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

They do. I have a Savage M11 in 260 Remington. It's one I will probably keep. Along with a select few Handi Rifles.

The plan is to upgrade. I have been selling off my entry level guns and replacing them with higher end. Less but more, if you know what I mean. I chose the Ruger Predator.

8. Rex in OTZ

The Browning X-Bolt is both a high end and very useable.
    The .308 Win can msrp for $800.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    stalkingbear likes this.
  9. Rex in OTZ

Here is one that looks allot like a HOWA but its not.
    FEATURES INCLUDE:
    SUB-MOA accuracy guarantee (.99” or less 3-shot group at 100 yards when used with Weatherby® factory or premium ammunition)
    Adjustable Match Quality, Two-stage Trigger.
    Fluted Bolt Body
    One-piece Machined Bolt Body
    Fully Enclosed Bolt Sleeve
    Vanguard Recoil Pad
    3-Position Safety
    Cold Hammer Forged Barrel
    Integral Recoil Lug
    Hinged Floorplate
    STOCK: Black Monte Carlo stock features hard, textured forearm and grip areas.
    Right side palm swell.
    BARREL AND METALWORK:
    Matte, bead blasted, blued finish
    24-inch barrel
    WEATHERBY:
    VANGUARD ® SELECT™
    msrp $599.00

And HOWA 1500 Kuiu Vias $419.99
    https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com...roductDetail/Rifles/prod99999053487/cat100003

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  10. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

Look at Bergara. The B14 riflesare well within your price range and a few of the Premier series are close. Out of your list get the Barrett. I have yet to shoot one but they seem to be really nice rifles for the money.
    http://bergarausa.com/Bergara_Rifles.php

11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

So perhaps this is the time? Go for the Barrett if it does not live up to expectations it will still have a decent resale/trade value.

12. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

.308 is kinda boring though.

BTW, I have had two Ruger #1's........both .243 win. My old B was a half incher at 100 yds with handloads. My current #1 is a little RSI and wears only a 4x...........cloverleafs w factory ammo at 75 yards. Note: 15 in lbs is the forend screw setting.

13. Hookeye

I have heard of some crappy #1's, but they were pre 1990 and of midbore chamberings.
    Seems as though the varmint cartridges and boomers did well. Yeah, they're quirky........in that the quarter rib ring spacing is for older longer tube scopes.
    Can't run a new style Leupold 2-7X on one without offset rings. Yeah, folks claim they can.........if they have giraffe necks. Even with an old M8 4X I had to run one offset ring at the back. Am 5' 11". My old B model ran a full size AO 3-9X Leupold no problem.
    Must admit my RSI feels more like a shotgun.......in handling. Quite
    different than my 700's.

Have NEVER liked the TC Encore, in synth or lam, or walnut. Just too thick and funky. Much prefer the Contender, but then they run lesser pressure cartridges. Would not run any hot rod in a break open. Gone are the days of switching barrels to save $. Best to just buy complete rifles. Oh I get how some folks like the "kit" aspect.

Taking stuff apart gets old, and adds risk.....either losing a part, changing torque........boogering screws etc.

Set it and forget it is best.

Yup, I don't even change shotgun bbls anymore.
    At one time I had three different Contender barrels................each had its own frame ;)

14. Hookeye

Local shop got a used Savage .308 in tactical stock. Might snag it and rebarrel to .243 win.