Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to replace my grips on a Ruger Vaquero. I have had my gun for at least 15 years. But when I see grips on the internet they say, XRC Red Frame, pre 2005. I don't know what this all means. Can someone explain to me what this all means, so I can get the correct grips for the gun.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The vaquero has gone through different iterations of frame design each slightly different. If you contact ruger with your serial number and model they will tell you what frame yours came with.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This might help-
http://www.privatescustomgrips.com/Grip_Frames.html

Used to have a better one- Goggle & you'll find other helpfull links-
If yours is 15 yrs old its very likely its a XR3RED frame- remove your grips & it shud be stamped on the frame.

Well, HOSS, I took the grips off my old Vaquero and there is no identifying mark on my grip frame. It is the old XR-3RED, as mine is the old case colored model.

My Vaquero:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
For your information I found a web site with the answer to the year my Vaqueros were built.
Both in 1994.
The site is: http://ruger.com/service/productHistory/RE-Vaquero.html and is just for Vaquero.
Both guns have the XR3 frame. In 2005 the number changed to XRD-RED for redesigned.
XR3 till 1963
Then the XR3RED
Then in 2004 they changed the Vaquero to a smaller size with the new XR3 frame-
Your 1994's shud have the XR3RED frames-

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That Gunblast site is really excellent. Now I at least understand the difference between my 1994 "Original" Vaqueros, and the so called "New Vaquero". The terminology is really careless unless you follow it very carefully. Finally I think I get it.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
trainman said:
That Gunblast site is really excellent. Now I at least understand the difference between my 1994 "Original" Vaqueros, and the so called "New Vaquero". The terminology is really careless unless you follow it very carefully. Finally I think I get it.
I knew ya would --

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where do you find nice wood grips for the Rugers? I would like some just can't spend what I paid for the guns on stocks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Be well safe shooting

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
NCcrimedog said:
Where do you find nice wood grips for the Rugers? I would like some just can't spend what I paid for the guns on stocks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Be well safe shooting
Ebay.........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going to suggest that too, but wasn't sure that this group dealt with them. There are some nice ones there.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I was going to suggest that too, but wasn't sure that this group dealt with them. There are some nice ones there.
Never worry about whats "correct" when wanting to help ;)
If its not allowed one of our Mods will deal with it -
I hear the 1st offence is only 5 lashes anyway :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Altamont appears to have some great grips. Ordered a pair for my vaquero 2 days ago and will deffinetly post pictures right when I get them. But from the website they look absolutely superb and at $65 it was a risk I'd be willing to take.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts