Ruger thinking?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Bigcountry02, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I was at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and they had a Ruger Super Redhawk on the wall for $700 and some change. This is a .44 Mag. 9.50" barrel 15.00 overall!

Any thoughts? :confused:

I told the wife it is a revolver and not a semi-auto (which she hates).

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

A bit too expensive...

3. Zebraranger

Zebraranger New Member

Thats about what they are going for here in my area for new ones. I picked up this one slightly used for around 600. with some ammo included. Its a very accurate 44 mag and handles recoil well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I subscribe to the notion it is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. If you like it, go for it.

5. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Thats a BIG damn gun, but I'll bet its pretty.

There's no way that my little hands will wrap around that beast, so I wouldn't even look twice at it. I think you could probably get a better price on it though. Aren't the Super Blackhawks retailing for in the $500 mark? If you really like the gun, shop around and compare prices. Thats how I try to make sure I get the best deal. Chances are, it isn't the only one in existance... Someone else is bound to have it somewhere.

I'll bet it would be a plast to take to the range though. I'd imagine pretty accurate too :)

6. Cajun

Cajun New Member

You cannot go wrong with a Ruger. I have owned several of them; Blackhawk, Mini 14, GP 100, SP 101, and 10/22. I had no trouble with any of them with thousands of rounds shot out of each. They are rugged, take abuse without problems, and continue to be more accurate than this old shot.

7. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Found the New Vaquero .44 with a 7.5" barrel on gunbroker.com for $400 shipped. You'll never know what kind of deals you stumble across until you look.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. Bigcountry02

This toy is new from Sportsman's Warehouse, compared to used on Gun Broker! I known others that have had excellent / new purchases from Gun Broker; however, I prefer local. Gun Broker is like ebay, I have been burned before on ebay.

I have the Ruger GP100 in Stainless Steel 6" and love it! It is tied with the Glock 19 model!

Still thinking, not letting the wife known - she will stake a claim to it!

[​IMG]

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Any thoughts on what sort of fore-stock you'll put on that? I have golf clubs shorter than that barrel!

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

They're good guns and it's worth it new. Are you planning on hunting with it? Going to shoot double action much? If you're going to shoot much double action I'd suggest the regular Redhawk. If you're mostly going to shoot single action (range/hunting) the Super Redhawk is better. The reason for this is the lockwork on the Redhawk (think Security Six) different than the lockwork on the Super Redhawk (Think GP100).

11. Bigcountry02

Range and Hunting mostly - the hunting will begin, when the wife finds out I purchased it and I become the hunted! :D

I have the Ruger 6" .357 GP100 Stainless Steel - so sweet! :D

12. Bigcountry02

Gun will be OEM!

My wife is already thinking! SCARY! I tend to lose out shooting rights with the revolvers - 9/10 of the law the wife who loves revolvers only! I tend to stay with the rifles and semi-auto pistols :(.

13. John Fox

John Fox New Member

I've used one hunting boar and I loved it.

14. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I have that Ruger and I love it. I take it big game hunting for deer and Black bear.
    I paid a bit less than 700 for mine. I would shop around and consider using the savings to get a good start on a nice hand gun scope!

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel (in VG condition) and 2X Leopold scope just hit one of the local GA forums for an asking price of $650. Jeebus these things are big - and no, I don't need a cannon like this...

16. Viking

Viking Active Member

Great for deer,bear and hog hunting and silhoette shooting. If you're 6' 6" you might be able to holster it without too much of a problem but for me, being 5'11" 165 lbs., it might be like holstering a row boat oar. That being said, I'd own it.

17. Bigcountry02

Thanks! I decide to swing by Sportsman's Warehouse, the spot on the shelve was empty - Redhawk was gone! Will look around for a deal!

The biggest worry is, I buy - wife takes ownership! :eek: :D