ruger super redhawk alaskan

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by countryboy, Jan 22, 2012.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Can anyone tell me about the ruger super redhawk alaskan first hand? Curious about the 454 casull recoil. Ability to use it as a carry gun. Likes and dislikes. Etc.

EXPENDABLE

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Never owned the ruger. Had a taurus raging bull in 454 now have a freedom arms 83 in that chambering. Only way to carry it wo getting hurt is usually in a shoulder holster. Recoil isnt bad. What are you wanting to use it for?

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

I'm curious about using it for a carry gun. I've seen several reviews that say its a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. I've tried 357 and 44, didn't think either of those was too bad. Read and interesting article on here about ballistics from a morgue, it recommended the larger caliber stuff. Figure something that big, as long as you can manage a hit, NO ONE will want to play with you anymore.

EXPENDABLE

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

It will knock pigs and deer over so ya itll kill a man very easily. You have to realize though that its a hell of a big revolver and is very hard to conceal. I carry mine on my right thigh kinda low down.

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

The Alaskan is 2.5 inch barrel. I assume you're speaking more towards the 6 inch judge.

EXPENDABLE

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No try 8 inch barrel. Thats the only super red hawk alaskan iv seen. Its the same size as my freedom

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then id say its very concealable;) and i wouldnt have a problem ccw it

8. countryboy

countryboy New Member

See the concern about recoil though?

EXPENDABLE

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya......and noise

10. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

If I was in a rural non-populated location like Alaska, outside the city, I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 454 if brown bear attacks were a real possibility.

If however their was any chance of having to worry about innocent bystanders, houses, and other trappings of civilization then the 454 caliber would not be a consideration for me. As a bear defense handgun it has it's merits but I find it is probably too much for a realistic handgun to use against bipedal aggressors. The short barrel means a lot of the bullet energy is wasted but it still packs more of a punch than a longer barreled .44 magnum. That "punch" comes with a bullet that to my knowledge has not been downloaded to the point that a bullet will stay inside the bipedal target and dump all it's energy. If you're in a populated location that means you may hit the innocent person behind your attacker after your bullet goes through your bipedal attacker.

Given that consideration I wouldn't want to be you in court, either civil or criminal. While you could still have a through and through wound of an innocent with a lesser caliber the odds, with proper bullet/load selection, are lessened. Another consideration is how well can you shoot such a gun quickly? What are your split times? In bear defense the common school of thought is that you will only get one round off and it needs to be a CNS hit. That's why I like my Single Action .44 Mag for bears and even that caliber is more than I desire to carry in any town in the lower 48.

Now with all that said having a gun that is "fun to shoot" does not necessarily mean "good for defense".

11. KMO

KMO New Member

A couple more thoughts on the Alaskan .454... 1) It can also fire .45 Colt rounds, which are much more manageable in terms of recoil 2) Although it's an extremely well built revolver, it weighs a ton! Even unloaded, carrying this brick around could wear out a guy...:eek:

But, if someone figures out a way to conceal it, the Alaskan would certainly be sufficient in any defensive use.

12. PlasticMetal

PlasticMetal New Member

Picking up my own Alaskan (.454) tomorrow. Can't wait! Willkeep you all updated on my thoughts.

13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

a 2.5" .454 ? holy crap ..... thats gotta be one hellova gun

14. downsouth

downsouth New Member

More like a flame thower.. Cool until the tendenitus sets in.

15. 75370

75370 New Member

The FA .454 Casull on the bottom is a 4 3/4", and is pretty easy to carry strong side small of the back..

[​IMG]

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Carry? Concealed? #1 it is HEAVY even with the short barrel. #2 it is fat. The cylinder diameter is big. #3 the grip is still big. I would rather carry my 4" 629.

Defense from humans? The human that can stop a 454 in the body has not been born yet. You will undoubtedly shoot completely through any potential adversary. Follow up shots are going to be slower than Christmas.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I now have a model 83 454 8" barrel FA

18. mes227

mes227 New Member

I have this revolver and love it. The .454's recoil is sharp but manageable. i was particularly drawn to the Alaskan as a carry piece in bear country, and because it chambers .45colt which is by it's own right a fantastic caliber.

19. mes227

mes227 New Member

+1. This is definitely not a routine CC weapon. It'd work ok under winter clothing but it is bulky and heavy. The Casull is also far too much ctg for SD against humans. But the .45Colt is a fantastic SD caliber and, in the Alaskan, the recoil is minor.