Ruger Standard failure to feed ( With Pics )

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by G-Mann, Aug 13, 2013.

1. G-Mann

G-Mann New Member

Failure to feed issue that happens at least 1-2 times with a 9 round magazine. I load the 9 round mag and install the mag into the gun, pulling back on the bolt ears, let it snap back to load the first round. No problem. It fires, ejecting that round. It may fire 3-4 rounds before the problem happens. When it does, the gun will not fire. I look at the gun to see that the round only made it 3/4 of the way into the chamber. The bolt is not closed all the way to see the back half of the live round. I then (manually) eject the round, and also notice that when I do that, that there is considerably more pull to eject that round because the bullet was deformed "before" it went into the chamber. Being that the bullet was deformed before entering the chamber makes sense on why it did not go in all the way and why it took extra effort to extract it manually.

Looking at the first pic you can see the deformed bullet. In the second pic, you see the deformation with the round turned 180 deg. What would I look for that would cause this?

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/gmann44/002_zps83f8ff42.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/gmann44/001_zps21556ebc.jpg

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have a PPK/s in .22lr that has similar problems with standard velocity ammo.

You did not say what ammo you are using.

How does it do with high velocity ammo?

3. G-Mann

G-Mann New Member

Forgot to mention the ammo!! This was using Federal Champion (510), and CCI Blazer. Both rated @ 1240fps. Hot enough to cycle a semi auto. Have used these for years in this gun before this problem.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My PPK/s does not digest the Federal Champion.

Do you have another magazine? The marks look like the bolt could be deforming the next bullet on recoil. It could be a result of the magazine lips losing their original form / shape.

5. G-Mann

G-Mann New Member

I have 3 mags. And the problem happens on all three. As for the bolt deforming the next round.....not so because that same round looks good while still in the magazine. I am quite sure that the bullet being deformed is not aligned properly as it enters the chamber, hitting the edge of it as it enters. At this point, I am puzzled as to what is causing this.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's often still a magazine problem. It isn't common, but it can happen, that people get magazine failures on multiple magazines. Still suggest you delve into this further.

7. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

It kind of looks like maybe the bolt was what shaved it, like the round was sticking up too high as the bolt rammed back forward. That's just what it looked like to me, and I am no authority on guns.

Ken

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Call Ruger 603-865-2442. They will want it back, and will pay shipping. They will want to see whats going on, fix it, and send it back. Top 3 in customer service......:)

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

+1 on Ruger CS!