ruger sr9c slide release?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ballfan4141, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ballfan4141

ballfan4141 New Member

does anyone else have the problem that they cannot release the slide with the thumb release? does the slide have to be broken in?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thats the way they are. One reason i am not interested in them.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I never use the slide stop to drop the slide, so it would be a non-issue for me.

4. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

They are very stiff when new but do loosen up some after a few trips to the range. I notice that some people will use any excuse not to buy a particular model gun. Anyone have any idea why that would be?

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I have an SR9c, and the slide release is a little stiff, but nothing unmanegable. It'll get better over time I believe. I don't know why it's stiff, but I do know that at first the trigger seemed very stiff, but now I've gotten use to it.

6. David26

David26 New Member

The slide release on my sr9c is stiff when i have an emty mag in it the mag is keepin preasure on the release but is no trouble at all is there is a round in the mag. my other Ruger semi autos have all been the same when new

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The slide release should be stiffer with an empty mag as the follower is exerting upward pressure on the slide catch. Once a fresh mag is loaded the top round no longer contacts the catch. A loose follower can allow the slide to release and close with no round chambered, a potentially fatal situation if you are in a SD encounter and need to reload.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have a sr9c and its is a sweet pistol. but my onley complaints would be what has been stated. the trigger is well probly the worst trigger i own. and the slide relase after i shoot a few mags takes both hands to use. haha. but besides that i love it.. the trigger can be fixed. hopefully after awhile the slide will be a little easier

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Mine works fine - not like a 1911 but hey- it aint a 1911 :rolleyes:

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

im spoiled, my xd is super light. i barely touch the trigger or release and its good to go.. i love it

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I carry mine, and shoot it the most probably. I prefer it, because since it is fairly stiff my fingers and hand will get use to it so other firearms like it wont be a problem to manipulate. It's also similar to my Springfield 1911 that I carry in regards to how you use it; taking the thumb saftey off first then pulling the trigger (which I find is similar to a 1911).

12. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

I have the the SR9C and like it much. The lever you talk about is not considered a slide "release". When you replace the magazine, pulling the slide fully to the rear and releasing it is the proper procedure. Not only the SR9C but many autos are designed that way. Try it and you'll find it preferable.

13. Hotshot

Hotshot New Member

My SR9c owner's manual has this listed as a slide stop not a release. Love mine.

14. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

As per others here, all my new Ruger semis are like that. Clean and lube it, then work the slide alot. I'll sit and work the slide while watching the tube in the evening with any new semi.

15. Bighoss18

Bighoss18 New Member

Slide lock

Instead of pulling down amd pushing away like on the glocks and xd, pull down and back. Its stiff the first time but easy after that!

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Don't think of it as a slide release, but a slide stop.

The function of the piece is to keep the slide open on the last shot. That is why the slide has gripping grooves. To allow you to pull the slide to the rear, allowing the slide stop to release, and the slide to go forward.

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

update... shot my sr9c for probly its 4th range trip. the slide stop/release has loosened up alot. its very comfortable to use now.