Ruger sr9c or s&w sigma for first gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by kharr128, Nov 7, 2012.

1. kharr128

kharr128 New Member

For a first gun which would be better the ruger sr9c or s&w sigma? Held both I then but haven't had a chance to shoot either reviews I have looked at say both guns are good

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife and I each have an SR9c. I gave my Sigma to my son a long time ago. The SR9c is a much better pistol.

3. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Sr9c is a fantastic weapon.....never fired the sigma but have not heard great things about it

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

Is there a particular reason you are looking at the compact version SR9? I have the full size and love the added size for all the advantages garnered by a service sized weapon... I mean, if this is for CCW then by all means go C but if not perhaps handle the full size and compact before purchasing. The slightly longer barrel makes for a significantly longer sight radius and higher muzzle velocity to milk peak performance out of each bullet. That's why I went with the full size. I have to admit though, I am thinking about getting my carry permit and that would be accompanied by a SR9c purchase!

5. kharr128

kharr128 New Member

Yeah I am taking my concealed carry the first of December so already I have been leaning more towards the sr9c over the sigma but still haven't really made up my mind but now I'm thinking to go with the ruger over the sigma

6. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

+1 on Ruger SR9c....very good balance and a great shooter.

I had a S&W Sigma and sold it.

7. CJohn364

CJohn364 New Member

Never held or fired a Sigma, but I have the SR9c and love it.

8. Colby

Colby New Member

I have the even smaller Ruger LC9 --- 9mm. It's a very nice shooting gun. My favorite at the range of all my concealables.
    But I have to say - I do not carry it because I consider even it too large. My Ruger LCP 380 goes everywhere with me in a back pocket holster.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ruger SR9C!.. ours shoots great, is very comfortable. recoil is little bit more than i thought a 9mm should be but it was still very manegable.

10. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

Don't have an sr9c but got a sr40 and its a shooter... Can't go wrong with the sr platform..

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

My dad has a Sigma. He had to get a free kit from S&W to fix the trigger on the thing. From what I can gather the Sigma has been a flop on the price point market. The Ruger has to be better than the Sigma. To be honest since you like the design of the SR9 I would pony up another hundred dollars and get a Gen 3 Glock. I am not a Glock fan in any way shape of form but I see no need in buying an imitation Glock when you can get the real thing.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Had both. Hated the Sigma and sold it. Still have the SR9c.

13. kharr128

kharr128 New Member

Thanks for the commits going sometime next week to buy the sr9c one of my dads friends had one shot it today and loved it can't wait to get one of my own

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I have handled both, fired the Sigma, dry the 9c. The 9c is nicer looking and has optional magazines for concealed carry and range time. It's the supreme winner here in my eyes. The triggers are both nice, I liked the 9c a bit better, more Glock-like in operation amd very smooth, much preferred. Though for a DAO yhe Sigma was very nice triggerwise. I stick to my guns firmly here, however nice they both may be, the SR9C is the bees knees.

15. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

I have a Sigma 9mm and mine shoots well but they come with a hard trigger on purpose (one and only safety feature). You'll probably like the Ruger better.

16. kharr128

kharr128 New Member

Just picked up my sr9c love it already put 100 rounds threw it

Attached Files:

17. TX45

TX45 New Member

I have both SR9 and SR9c in stainless. I love them!