Ruger SR9

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Dearhunter, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Here are photos of my new Ruger SR9. It was a Christmas present from my wife.
    It has great safety features making it a good carry weapon. Plus, it is very light.
    Mag is 17 rounds, yet the grip is thin. The grip puts your trigger finger way forward insuring easy access to trigger. Sights are 3 dot adjustable. There is a loaded indicator on top of slide. Being that it is so light weight, I will make this a carry weapon. Not in love with the trigger pull, I will see if that can be improved. Good accurate gun, shot a box of ammo. Tight group, no FTF.

Ruger SR9 002_resized.jpg

Ruger SR9 003_resized.jpg

Ruger SR9 005_resized.jpg

Ruger SR9 007_resized.jpg

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

makes me miss my sr9c :(

3. davva360

davva360 New Member

Nice. I have the SR9c. Had it for about 3 years. It's a great shooter.

4. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

If I recall correctly, the backstrap is reversible to make the grip larger. Clever feature.

5. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Great purchase, it will serve you well. I have owned the sr9c and currently own a sr40c it has been my edc for 2 years. Several of my buddies also bought one cause they liked mine so much. Mine is black on black. Not sure if the full size has it but the C ' s have a mag s[​IMG]aftey that wraps around the firing pin. I heard on the early Cs they had occasional light strikes due the magazine safety causing friction on the firing pin. So, I took mine and all my buddies out of our guns. You can just hear it strike the primer like it's supposed to.

6. JK33

JK33 New Member

My first pistol I ever purchased was the SR9. I have bought several guns since and have no plans to sell my first! Great gun.

7. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

My wife has one. Every body that shoots it loves it. Excellent gun.

8. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Have you ever ran Federal Aluminium cased ammo through your SR9c?

9. davva360

davva360 New Member

No I have not. Haven't used and steel cased either just brass. Mainly cheap stuff like Winchester, Remington, Independence.

Functions 100% with all that stuff and the Hornady hollow points I have tried.

10. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I've only ran brass in it so far. Ate through them just fine.

I bought 3 boxes of Federal, thinking it was brass turned out to be aluminium.

I wouldn't think Rugers would have an issue with aluminium. Just seeing if anyone has had issues so it wouldn't catch me off guard if I do.

11. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

The SR9c is the first firearm, pistol or long gun, I've ever purchased. I dont think I could ever get rid of it. Nostalgia.

12. davva360

davva360 New Member

It's the first pistol I bought too. I shoot it better than any other pistol I own. I just wish it did not have a manual safety. It's the only reason I don't carry it.

13. Luckyshamrock40

Luckyshamrock40 Member

I'm thinking of getting either the SR9 or SR9c, just can't make up my mind!

14. davva360

davva360 New Member

Had the same dilemma. Figured with the compact version you get the best of both worlds. Small mag when you need it with the option of using the full size mag.

15. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

I have the SR9c. Its the second one i have had and they are fantastic.

16. Luckyshamrock40

Luckyshamrock40 Member

Does the extension for the 17rds feel solid when you fire/shoot it?

17. davva360

davva360 New Member

I would say so and I bought an extra 17 round mag.

I always use the pinky extender floor plate on the small mag but I certainly have no problem with the larger mags.

I would say I shoot the SR9c better than any other handgun mainly because it has such a good trigger.

18. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

Absolutely. As a matter of fact, i have shot the 17 round mag with the extension sleeve and without. Either way, it is solid and surprisingly comfortable.

19. Luckyshamrock40

Luckyshamrock40 Member

Well, looks like me getting a SR9 is on hold for a few months! But only because my loving, beautiful wife got me a Taurus 66SS 357 for my birthday!!

[​IMG]

20. davva360

davva360 New Member

I need a revolver. I have nothing that shoots 357 / 38