Ruger sr9 vs Glock 17

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Fireguy77, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Fireguy77

Fireguy77 New Member

I am 50/50 on both of these guns! This will be my first handgun purchase. I know a few pros and cons about each of these, but I wanted to get everyone else's opinion since I know there are some pretty intelligent gun owners on this forum. Tell me what you think!

2. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

Have you held or fired either?

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

SR9 has a way better trigger. Ruger customer service is also better. Plus, you can shoot lead cast bullets out of the SR9.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

On top of the first question, I'll add.
    What is the intended purpose of the gun (range/ hone defense/carry)?
    If for carry, do you intend to carry concealed?
    Both are good guns, but without more info it is impossible to make an informed suggestion.
    My personal preference between the two would be glock. But that has no bearing. Lol

5. Fireguy77

Fireguy77 New Member

I have shot the glock 17 and liked it to a certain degree, they sure don't make them to fit into your hand very well haha. I would like this for home protection and outdoor activities( I fish/mountain bike/hike in an area very well know for bear and mountain lion). CC could be an option later down the road, but I live in California which is very strict, you must have a legitimate reason and apparently "personal protection" isn't a valid answer. Also, if there are any other suggestions that would be comparable to these weapons please share them!

6. Fireguy77

Fireguy77 New Member

Also thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated!

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

M&P 9mm from Smith&Wesson.

As reliable as a Glock
    As accurate as a Sig
    Completely ambidextrous
    Good trigger when you get used to it
    It shoots lead cast bullets
    Fully supported chamber

...the list goes on

8. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

Agreed, the M&P would be comparable to the other two and has an excellent reputation. If you're set on a DA trigger, I'd also suggest the Walther P99.

9. Fireguy77

Fireguy77 New Member

I have looked at that one, I loved the feel but it's a little pricey. I'll have to look at it again to see if the price difference is worth it.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Plus, S&W has just about the best customer service there is.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am one of the worlds biggest ruger fanboys. The SR9 is a Glock knock off. I wouldn't buy a knock off when the extremely popular original Glock is on the shelf beside it. The SR9 is a decent shooting pistol. They are very popular in this area. I have shot several of them.

Glock has been fine tuning their product for years. This is Rugers first try with SR series pistols. It took several models for Ruger to perfect the legendary P series pistols. We have yet to see the best of the SR series of pistols.

12. Toll13

Toll13 New Member

My suggestion.

Attached Files:

13. davva360

davva360 New Member

You have to shoot both to know the answer.

I have an SR9c and would actually recommend it over the SR9 as it is more versatile in my opinion. Mine has been 100% reliable so far and shoots very accurately.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't know about 9mm for bear and cougars, how about 10mm?

Back to your question, Glock 17/19 over the Ruger. I have the 22/23/27 trio and like them a lot.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I Love this answer.
    Great point. 9mm is likely to just piss a bear off.

16. Fireguy77

Fireguy77 New Member

So I'm getting the feeling that I should be looking at a glock 22 then. Thanks for the feedback!

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The G22 is a good choice, you can get hot 40S&W loads that approach the 10mm, use standard loads and even pick up a 40-9mm conversion barrel.

18. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

G22 is a good choice. Just be sure not to shoot anything too hot out of it with the stock barrel in it.

Ohh, and be sure to pick up a 9mm conversion barrel.:D

19. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I have a sr45 and glock 23 and love both. I think I favor the rugers trigger and ergo's, but I still like and trust my glock more. Both should be great guns.

20. Fireguy77

Fireguy77 New Member

How much of a price difference is there between g 22 and a m&p 40?