Ruger SR556

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Byrdguy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Anybody have any experience with the Ruger SR556?? It looks like a well made piece and I'm thinking about springing for one. I'm an AR Noob and would appreciate any input.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I wouldn't buy it, especially for a first AR. Unless you have a real reason to choose it over everything else - it's heavy, expensive and doesn't do one thing better than a standard DI AR that costs hundreds less.

To be fair, I haven't fired one, just handled them at the gunshop.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

No personal experience but I havent heard to many good things about them.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

used to have one. my opinion: DONT BUY ONE!!!!

while they are reliable you cannot use a milspec upper on the ruger lower. the triggers are simply horrid. for the money they cost it should at least have a half decent trigger. as noted above very very heavy for what it is.

the sr556 upper does not fit on milspec lowers. i would bet the trigger area is slightly out of spec as well.

i traded mine in on a springfield 1903a3 and was happy about it.

the rails cant be removed they are double roll pinned in (one inside the other very very tightly) so if you get a little dirt or moisture under the rail your screwed when it starts to rust. the piston rod cannot be lubed or cleaned.

sr556 no bueno

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Wow, great post, JonM!

Many piston ARs at least have a milspec lower, didn't know Ruger's wasn't. Byrd, I think you got your answer... :(

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

dont get me wrong they are very good shooters very reliable and not prone to heat build up long as you dont mind the drawbacks. mine was very very accurate once you worked past the mushy creepy glocky feeling trigger

7. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I have an SR556 and am very pleased with it. It wasn't cheap, $1,350 plus tax, but if you compare it to other AR rifles optioned out the same (or a Sig 556) then it is right in there with any other brand. Yes the rifle is a tad heavier than some, but that weight also seems to settle the rifle down in rapid fire. I believe I can shoot the SR better on the move than I can my other brand AR's. The difference is small mind you, but the hits on the target tell the story. I have read the complaints about the trigger and to be honest I don't feel a difference between the Ruger, a Bushmaster, or a Smith.
    Ruger has a lighter version of it's 556 now. 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash suppressor and a fluted barrel. That should address the weight issue for some, but like I said, I like the extra weight. Besides, I've hung gee wiz gadgets:D and lights;) on mine that have driven the weight up even more:eek:.
    I am now a firm believer of the chromed bolt. I can run 100's of rounds of Russian ammo through the Ruger and still just pull out the bolt and wipe it clean in a minute. Rock River also has some models that come with the chromed bolt (I like the specs of the Elite Operator 2) if you want to stay with a traditional gas system.
    For a first AR I probably would go with a less expensive base model. The caution is, if you start hanging gear on am AR you will drive the money and weight up.

8. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Your in the same price range as a Daniel Defense.They weigh a tad over 6lbs and are very good ARs. Ruger makes some great stuff but you can do better in the AR world.

9. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

I have both an SR556 and a Sr556C, very very pleased with both, they shoot accurately and have never had any failure to feeds or ejects. Trigger pulls were the biggest complaint for me but I knew that going in. They felt very similar to my Colt LE6920 though, so no biggie but I still replaced both with a drop in trigger from Chip McCormick. The Sr556C is lighter due to fluting the heavy barrel under the Troy rails.

Don't forget that Ruger throws in Troy rails and front and rear battlesights as well as Hogue grip - this is a few hundred bucks on their own. Quality? Right up there with a COlt in my opinion. How does it shoot? Well you have to try on your own but their both very sweet shooters. I will always grab these two along with my Colt and FN SCAR 16s when I hit the range.

Rugers make great ARs for the money their short stroke piston designs have proven themselves well thought out and just run and run.

10. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

As per Ruger the transfer rod does not need servicing, so I listen to Ruger and leave it be, I've put about 6000 rounds through mine now and so far its worked great. I clean the gun after every range outing, cleaning the gun is very simple and the bolt carrier group stays very clean. The piston comes out easy and its easy enough to clean.

As for the lower, what exactly is not 'milspec' about the Ruger lower? I like to know since I have taken my Ruger lower and connected it to my Colt LE6920 out of curiosity and it worked just fine. The Ruger upper will mate with any AR lower.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Mine wouldnt mate up with a colt m16 upper dont get any more milspec than that, or my rra upper or my dpms upper.

For the price they charging for the sr556 it shouldnt be a crapshoot

12. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Both my Ruger SR556 and Sr556C lowers mate up to my Colt LE6920 and 6601. Seems more the rule than the exception.

Oh well, sorry you have an out of spec lower.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

had. traded it off for a 1903a3. im usually pretty leary of buying a ruger product but at the time it looked like a good rifle. ive had far more shoddy items from them than good ones but ive always found someone that really wanted it despite the flaws.

it was a good shooter i had no complaints there but im a person that likes multi-tasking my ar15s and the sr556 just didnt stack up.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I actually like Ruger and own three. But when it comes to the AR, there are so many better choices than Ruger. Also you have to wonder where their true allegiance lies since they've up until now been the maverick in the .223 world with their Mini-14.

15. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Can you explain exactly what you mean by multi tasking your ARs?

SWAT likes the SR556:
    Tactical-Life.com » RUGER SR-556 5.56mm

16. Byrdguy

Byrdguy New Member

Thanks, for all the input. I think i'll follow the advise of those who say to build one.

17. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Just to make sure the right information gets out there
    I had another person from arf.com try his Ruger SR556 lower with Colt uppers and they all mated up. Cycled the bolt back and forth with no issues.

18. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

If you live around Northern IL PM me, I'll be happy to let you shoot mine and come to your own conclusion through experiencing it firsthand.

19. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

not my videos but these are excellent reviews:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBBn88PfJg]YouTube - ‪Ruger SR-556: Piston Done Right, Pt 1‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Vff1np7jk]YouTube - ‪Ruger SR-556: Piston Done Right, Pt 2‬‏[/ame]

20. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

This tread may be old but I wanted to add something. This morning I replaced the trigger in my SR 556 with a Rock River National Match setup. The Ruger trigger was okay, a bit heavy, but entirely serviceable. I never checked the weight but I am told that the factory setting was about 12 pounds. The new Rock River trigger took about 15 minutes to install. Keep in mind I had never done any "work" on an AR trigger. Now with all my vast "experience" I think I could cut that time in half, it really is that simple. Anyway, the Rock River trigger pull is a crisp four pound joy. I expect it will get a little better as it wears in.
    You might assume that I replaced the Ruger trigger unit to get a better trigger pull, and that would be partly right. The truth is though, my Ruger had developed the habit of going full auto whenever it chose. Full auto is fun..........when you expect it and want it, any other time is bad. I had put a couple thousand rounds downrange through the Ruger in the last six months so this was not a new gun "break in" issue. Rather than endure a warranty issue with Ruger I just replaced the trigger group. The old Ruger parts don't show any excess wear, but they were letting the gun run wild sometimes. Slam fire rate of fire is impressive to say the least! Anyway, I'll post again later if there is anything to add.