Ruger SR1911

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Daoust_Nat, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Once the daughter is successfully married off (and all the bills paid) and now that I have gotten my wife a 2011 VW CC, I am looking for my next toy. I like the looks of the Ruger SR1911.

Any of you out there have one? Let me know what you think of it.

Thanks,

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Lot's of threads covering it, but in a nutshell... LOVE IT!

3. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Lots of love everywhere for the SR1911

4. vincent

vincent New Member

Paging Fathead...Report to the Ruger forum stat!!! :D

FH has one and he's loving it...

Had my grubby paws on one a few months back, it just felt right...:cool:

5. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I love my SR1911!!!! It's a tank and haven't had any problems with it!!! Very easy to disassemble to clean.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Damn, that was fast!! ;)

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

That's hilarious. I was typing to slow.;)

8. Daoust_Nat

Thanks! What I have seen of it, I like. I have not yet wrapped my paws around it due to feeling I may fail on my other $ obligation (get the daughter married and the wedding paid for) and just buy it. But sometime after September 14th, I believe one will find it's way into my safe.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Buy the daughter two one-way tickets to Vegas and get the SR1911, throw in commander size for grins & giggles. :p

10. Wrangler95

Wrangler95 New Member

11. Daoust_Nat

A good plan, but the wife knows how to use some of the handguns currently residing here. I would fear lead poisening in my sleep where I to do that. I also believe if she got a jury of 12 Mothers of brides, she would get off faster then George Zimmerman did!

12. bigwoody698

bigwoody698 New Member

Does anyone know if the SR 1911 is legal in the People's Republic of Kalifornia?

13. Cheever

Cheever New Member

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Apologies for the late reply.

I have one and it's great. I got one of those that hit the shelves in the first 6 months the SR1911 was available, and at a fair enough price of $699. Mine is the 5" stainless version with the Rosewood grips.

But please look over any SR1911 you may purchase really well. The next two I laid my hands on at local shops were extremely sloppy with a ton of lateral slide play. Personally, I'd consider each of them unacceptable.

The SR1911 can be an excellent gun. I feel that mine is exactly that (perhaps I'm biased). But I wouldn't have bought those other two, and that failure rate sorta leads me to believe that there are a fair amount of crappy Ruger 1911's out there. I hate to say that, because it could ultimately reduce my own gun's value a bit...but that's what I've seen over the last year or so.

Ruger's SR1911 can be fine. But honestly, I'd recommend keeping your options open and carefully examining any Ruger you consider buying. I feel pretty confident stating that a number of those sitting on shelves aren't so great.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  15. Daoust_Nat

Thanks for the input. I look anything I buy over pretty good before I plunk down my hard earned dollars. Now when I look at this Ruger, I will remember your advise and take a more close look. I also like the Performance Center S&W 1911, but they are about twice the cost, so I will really examine the SR1911 before I accept or cast off the idea.

16. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Retail = $799.000, but shop around and you should be able to find a new one for 600 to 650, or less. Good luck

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

They are on sale in a number of stores. Our LGS could not get them fast enough. Now the SR1911 pistols are getting dusty on the shelves and the prices are dropping. They are down to $699 here a drop of over $100 dollars. Quality issues are haunting Ruger's new ownership. :(

18. NOVA

NOVA New Member

May I ask what is your source of information that Ruger (a publicly owned company) was bought by a new owner? Who IS this new owner?

19. neetan

neetan New Member

Chant with me! You can do it!!!!!

Do it

Do it

do it

do it

again
    do it do it do it do it do it do it

Yes I have 2 of the sr1911

Remember you need one for each hand........

What !!

Just 2 then you go and buy a reloading press ~~~ only One not two.

Enjoy the feeling.:):):)

20. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I agree first thing I check for is that tight fit. That said, the 1911s GIs carried in the day were loose as a goose. Like the AK 47 the loose tolerances made them more durable. Today's versions are top line precision fit compared to those.