Ruger SR1911

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by ZombieKiller83, Aug 8, 2011.

1. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

So took my new Ruger 1911 out for some trigger time :D. Now you will see from the target pics i'm going to show you, that i need alot of practice haha. The gun is more accurate than i am. A buddy of mine who has years of experience with 1911's shot a really nice 1 inch group center target(course i forgot to get a pic :mad:), so in the guns defense it's accurate but the owner needs some practice haha. This is my second time shooting a 1911 platform, third time shooting .45acp so i'm still learning the round.

Anyways enough about my noobiness and on with the review! I was shooting Blazer Brass 230gr fmj's and did not have one hang up with the 7 or 8rd mag. My buddy however was shooting WWB 230 gr FMJ's and had 3 FTF with the 8rd mag but no issues with the 7rd mag. Now i've heard people are having issues with the 8rd mags so could be the rounds but i'm leaning towards the mag to be honest. Other than that lil issue she ran like a top and was a real smooth shooter. I'm happy with the purchase thus far! On with the pics!

2. ZombieKiller83

All targets were shot from 20ft

First 15rds:
    [​IMG]

Few more mags:
    [​IMG]

And even more:
    [​IMG]

Gratuitous dirty shot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

3. ZombieKiller83

Few more dirty shots haha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all a fun day, everyone who shot it seemed to like it :cool:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

Great post. Thanks

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Right, strong side shooter?

It's a SA 1911 trigger, the best in the game. You are making the gun fire. You need to "let" it fire.

When you run a 1911, the trigger break should be a surprise. It's what we call follow through.

8. ZombieKiller83

Correct and thanks for the tip i'll have try that :cool: And just to be clear basically i'm focusing too much during trigger pull, basically clear my mind and let it happen naturally is what your saying?

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yep...you are anticipating the recoil and pushing the gun up and out...aka flinching.

[​IMG]

Pistol and Revolver Error Analysis and Correction

10. Werminator

Werminator Member

Glad to see some report on this particular firearm. I have been thinking of purchasing a gun with a larger load than my SR9 and... well... the .45 is what a MAN shoots right? I have always been intrigued with the 1911 but to tell the truth at first I thought they were ugly... They look large and cumbersome but after handling a number of them they begin to feel like an extension of the shooter and their inner beauty shines through. I also like the more affordable ticket price offered on this weapon as opposed to some of its competition...

11. ZombieKiller83

I'd say it would be a good starter 1911 but i'm certainly not gonna say it's the last one i'm gonna buy. Once i get my confidence with the platform/round up i will probably look into a Colt/S&W or maybe even a Springfield. Never really considered a Kimber as IMO they are too hyped up by fan boys. Some may say thats a bad reason to not consider but thats just the way i am, i avoid fan boys like the plague. Now there are fan boys of every gun maker BUT some ALOT less than others.

12. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

I've got a SA mil-spec 1911A1 - love it!

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Everything I've heard, seen, and read about this firearm is great stuff. Unfortunately, these are still very scarce in my hometown. I'll be having to wait to add one to my collection. Nice report btw..

14. ZombieKiller83

Thanks man, just trying to give something back for all the help received during my AR build. As for availability they are pretty scarce around here too. I literally got lucky as I was in Gander picking some ammo the morning they got nine of them in. I put it on layaway without flinching. Those nine were sold out within two hours the guy was telling me when I made my first payment haha.

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Pretty much the way it works here at my local shop however when they get something in that is a hot item like this one, they tend to pull their policy on lay-away. This makes it even harder on us to catch them when they come in.

Gratz again to ya for getting one. Ruger did it right when they made this gun. Good price and very well made. Taurus is not even close in my opinion.

16. ZombieKiller83

I actually looked at getting a Taurus before the Ruger came out. The guy at Gander was telling me S&W sold them all their tooling so it was "basically" a S&W. I have a Taurus PT92 which is another gun that Taurus purchased the old Beretta factory in Brazil with all the tooling. But i can tell ya they are close BUT not the same. I purchased a Beretta 92 Blackhawk serpa holster and it fits but the trigger guard must be just a little thicker as the lock will not engage. I do know i can drop a Beretta barrel in though.

I got lucky with my PT92 as it has been nothing but reliable but after reading all the hit or miss stats of Taurus i will not be trying my luck with them again.Really sucks cuz their prices are really reasonable but oh well.

17. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

How much was it? Are they going for full retail?

18. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Now I'm thinking about getting one of these for my first 1911. Thanks for the range report.

19. ZombieKiller83

I got mine for 750 OTD :cool:

20. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

My neighbor bought one. He loves it. I shot it. I like it. Functioned flawlessly as one would expect of a Ruger.

If I were in the market for yet another 1911....this is where I'd spend my money.

The last 1911 I bought was the new Remington. Wouldn't feed a whole magazine without a FTF or FTE. After throating, polishing, new extractor, then a new ejector, it still won't run. POS.

Go Ruger!