Ruger SR1911 Question

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by jcd390, Jun 14, 2014.

1. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Okay so I finally made it to the range to shoot my new ruger sr1911. However, I was a little disappointed it seemed all my shots were down three to four inches were I was aiming. It didn't look like the Novak sights had and elevation adjustment unless I am missing something? As soon as I noticed my shots being low I changed guns to see if it was me, the other guns were dead one. Am I missing something or has anyone else with an Sr1911 experienced the same thing? I really like how smooth this gun is but if I can't shoot it were I aim then it's got to go! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The SR 1911 has a good reputation. You are correct, Novak sights do not have elevation adjustment. You could put a shorter sight on.

Make sure you are not doing what this chart says could be happening.

Attached Files:

3. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

First, rule out shooter's error by slowfiring from a solid rest. Line up the dots across the bullseye, not under. If it still shoots low, get a shorter front sight.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If it's grouping consistently (which seems to be the case), then the gun is probably doing its part.

Sounds like you need to either change your approach (habits, grip, sight picture) or switch to sights that better fit your existing habits. There's nothing wrong with either method...but altering your habits tends to be a less expensive proposition.

Many of us have pistols that we don't shoot particularly well until the second or third mag through, due to variances in sighting. The guns are accurate, the sights are simply a little different. If this is a go-to gun for you, you'll quickly get a feel for it and begin finding your mark routinely. The pistols I depend on tend to be instinctually spot-on with my own shooting habits...those that aren't are good range guns, but wouldn't be primary defense choices.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some sight pictures are different for different types of sights.

Try to align the sights correctly with the intended POI where the "dot" covers.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

What type of ammo are you shooting? I have a Commander length SR1911. I was shooting 3 inches low at 15 yards. But I was also noticing heavy recoil. I went back to my books and realized that I was shooting a power factor of around 188. I dropped my charge to bring the factor to around 172. Now it is dead on.

I shoot a 230 grain bullet. Mine tends to like the heavier bullets better than the light ones. I even shoot a 255 grain lead bullet sometimes. It will sling the crap out if those. And they go right where I point them.

7. jcd390

jcd390 New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, there is some really good info. I plan on going back to the range this week so I'll keep you posted. I have a hunch that my sight picture wasn't lining up straight, the range I shoot at is very dim and once I got home and shot at my house I noticed that I wasn't lining up the top. Hope that is the issue. Thanks again and please keep the advice and coming....

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  8. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

For my SR 1911, to be on the bullseye, the front sight and the rear sight are aligned evenly. But here's the key - the front dot must completely cover the bullseye. I had to shoot benchrest to figure this out.

Hope this helps......

Bayou