Ruger SR1911 or Springfield Champion?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by bub72ck, Jan 27, 2012.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

I am looking to add a 1911 to my collection and have narrowed it down to the two options above. What are some opinions about these two? Any other models in the same price range are welcome also.

Thanks

2. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I own a Ruger SR1911 and i love it! Picked mine up for 750 from Gander Mountain.
    Pro's: She's a looker, price, made in the U.S., throated barrel for HP's, internal extractor just like the original 1911's had, and accurate!
    Con's: Hard to find one, 8 rd mag is trash(only malfunctions mine has ever had were FTF's due to the weak spring they put in it), on mine(can't speak for others) i have to maintain a 6 o'clock hold as mine shoots about 2 inches high at 20-30 feet(for some this might acctually be a pro but i'm not a fan of the 6 o'clock hold, just my personal preference).
    The factory 8rd mag has since been replaced with a Kimber 8rd mag and no malfunctions ever since. I have about 800 rds through mine and won't be selling it anytime soon. Once i figured out it was shooting high and adjusted for it, i shot a five shot about 1" group from 30 feet

As for the Springfield, only springer 1911 i've ever shot was my buddies Loaded and i must say they make a fine pistol as well so tough choice on your part haha but good luck bud hope this helps

3. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

Let me start by saying you can't really go wrong with either pistol. I own a Ruger SR1911 and I recently bought my wife a Springfield 1911 for Christmas. Having shot both, they're both great pistols.

I've had literally ZERO failures of ANY kind with my Ruger, and I had a whopping 1 failure to feed with the Springfield and that was during break-in, during our very first visit to the range with the pistol.

In contrast to Zombie Killer, I haven't had any trouble with the 8 round magazine supplied with my Ruger and the spring seems quite solid. My Ruger groups quite well at all ranges so far as well. Not trying to contradict him, just stating my personal experiences as he stated his. He's definitely right about the SR1911 being tough to find, at least in my area. I bought the first one to hit the counter at my local store within moments of them opening the box, and before I had my paperwork filled out, the only other one they had was being sold as well. Since then, and that was months ago, I haven't seen another in any shop in my area. Springfields, however, are everywhere and very reasonably priced.

Again, you can't go wrong with either pistol...there's no way you can lose here. If I were in your position it'd come down to whatever is readily available to you and whichever you like the finish on. Put both in your hands if you can - your'e bound to find SOMETHING about one, or the other, that just appeals to you more.

Best of luck with your purchase!

Josh

4. AZL

AZL New Member

First let me say I LOVE Springfield Armory 1911's. They are my GO TO 1911...over Colt or Kimber.

That being said....the Champion or "JAMpion" as I call it is an abortive attempt at sicking an Officers length slide on a full sized grip frame. It sucks. I can make a 1911 run...but the Champion is NOT one I would trust my life to. I have owned four and not one of them was what I would call "bet your life on reliable"....no matter how much tuning and rebuilding I did.

Buy the Ruger.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I don't have either so no first hand experience with either. Both seem to have a good rep for quality & reliability with the edge going to Springfield for their excellant customer service. But, two different pistols in terms of the Ruger being a full size (5") & the Champion being a 4" on full size frame. To me, choice would come down to 'feel/balance'. In my case, without even picking them up, I think that the Champion would probably balance better in my hand. Hopefully, you will be able to check both out to see which one fits you best.

6. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

Thanks for all of the input.

AZL you said you have a lot of Jams from the Champion. How many would you say you have had? For most Springfield models 1 out of 100 rounds is a lot. More than that?

7. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I have a champion, 1000 rounds or more and no problems.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

A friend of mine has a Champion, it's never given him a moment's trouble.
    His only gripe with it is the 4 inch barrel, as opposed to a proper Commander length, 4.25" ish. He is a tinkerer and enjoys swapping and upgrading things.

9. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

I'm going to throw the Springfield Loaded into the mix as well. It comes in the black stainless with the dark grip and is in my price range. Decisions, decisions...

10. Overkill0084

That's one of the things I like about SA: great selection.
    I quite like the Black stainless look. Of the three you've listed, That's probably the direction I'd go. Just because of the look. Opinions vary, of course.

11. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

That's my favorite look. I'm sure Ruger will come out with some different designs in time but it's hard to wait. LOL

12. AZL

AZL New Member

I am talking about a level of unreliability that doesn't even make it to 20 rounds without jamming!

One Jampion I had couldn't run through a magazine without a ftf or fte. Whether I was using SA factory, Colt, McCormick, or Wilson (The BEST).

The second one would have a failure rate of 5 or 6 out of 50.

The others were nearly as bad.

Polish, ramp, throat, tune extractor and even install slightly longer ejector....none of the "go-to" fixes worked.

The Champion is NOT a good execution of the 1911. Remember...this is just a reworking of Auto Ordinance's "Pitbull" model (that sucked too) of sticking an Officer slide on a full size frame.

13. AZL

AZL New Member

There's your answer right there.

14. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

How does the Loaded compare to the Champion from a reliability standpoint? Both being from SA I would imagine the engineering is the same. That really sucks about the Champion you had. That just sounds like a lemon of a gun. I have fen several hundred rounds through my XD and never had an issue and there are lots of stories on here about very satisfied SA 1911 owners.

But yet I think the loaded will be my choice. Just wanted to make sure people had some good results with it first.

15. Overkill0084

A 5" 1911 is how Mr. Browning designed it. They will typically give fewer problems, all other things being equal. As barrel lengths get shorter, it requires more attention to detail by the builder to keep them reliable. Angles change, springs get heavier, slide travel and speed changes. I'm sure an experienced 1911 builder could go into great detail on all the possible variables. This is not to say that a 3" 1911 can't be reliable or that a 5" can't give you problems.
    So your 5" Black stainless loaded should, theoretically, have a better chance at giving satisfactory performance.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  16. AZL

AZL New Member

I currently own three LOADED models that I use teaching and as loaners when I teach a 1911 only class. I have had ZERO gun-related problems with any of them.

One didn't like Hydra Shok ammo....I polished the feed ramp a bit and problem cured.

One thing I do reccomend on ALL my 1911's: ****can the full length guide rod and install a standard setup. It makes it a whole lot less complicated and I have never found the mythical "gain in accuracy" associated with the FLG to be anything BUT a myth.

When I ordered my Les Baer....I specifically ordered it WITHOUT the stupid assed FLG.

As far as I have ever been able to tell, all the FLG does it make stripping the damned 1911 a pain in the ass.

17. Harleygunner

Harleygunner New Member

For what it's worth, I have the Ruger 1911,( took me months to finally get one), and my son has the Springfield "loaded" model. He's never had a ftf or any problems with it. I just took the Ruger out to the range this week, and have only put about 150 rds thru it, and had no problems. It was accurate right out of the box. First two shots at 10 yds were one in bullseye, and 1 inch out to 9 o'clock position. At 25 yds first 5 shots had one bullseye, and 4 within 2 inches to 9 an 7 o'clock.
    I think you can't go wrong with either, ...and the price is very reasonable, especially on the Ruger. I'm a BIG Ruger fan, have three, can you tell ?