Ruger sr1911 or Remington r1 enhanced?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by brewna01, Jul 14, 2012.

1. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

I've been given an unbelievable deal of trading my Armscor made 1911a1 plus $400 on either one of these beauties (probably less cash on the Ruger). Which one should I pick?

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

You cant lose on either. I like rugers customer service. Instead of sending the gun in they sent me a new mag latch. Easy

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first off, the Ruger SR1911 has been elusive for me! but general concensus is that it's a pretty dang good pistol. i do have firsthand knowledge of the Remington R1 Enhanced, as i bought one a few weeks ago and have found it to be a pleasure to own and shoot. very, very accurate, very good fit and finish and has eaten every round i have fed it without even a hiccup. IMO, though i am biased towards the R1, either one could be a good trade. maybe just flip a coin to decide? maybe it might be the decision between blued or stainless. the R1 Enhanced only comes in a blued finish currently and the SR1911 only comes in a stainless finish currently.

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I wish I had that problem :)

I'd probable go with the Ruger, but I'm partial to all thing Ruger.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If I could get either for the same money, I'd go with the R1 Enhanced.

6. Axxe55

guys, given that i own the R1 Enhanced and very pleased with it i will say this, the day i bought mine, i went to purchase a Colt Commander they had but it had sold a few days prior to me getting back to my LGS. well the SR1911 and the R1 were on my list of 1911's to possibly purchase at a future time. the SR1911 has availability problems in my neck of the woods and the R1's seem to be easier to come by. had they had the SR1911, i might have bought it instead. i have a few Rugers and am pleased with them enough i might have chosen the SR1911 over the R1. well i bought the R1 and have no regrets for doing so. i am very pleased with it, and i am sure that when i come across a SR1911 and buy it, i will be just as pleased with it.

7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Go with the SR1911. I've had my name on the waiting list for months and no one can seem to get one in.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  8. cuba

cuba New Member

I'd say keep your Rock Island and put the $400 toward a Rock Island tactical that will be fitted as good or better then the other two choices, the Rock Island tactical can be had for under $475 nickle finished if you like.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Rock Island Tactical Nickle Finish
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

Nah, I'm not that happy with my current gun. Lots of Ftf and fte, problems upon problems. IMO, a gun should work out of the box regardless of make and model. With the technology used to produce firearms today they shouldnt have the problems that mine does. It's imported by Taylor's & co., not RI. Same gun though. I've wanted the Ruger since they came out, but I'm digging the Remington now pretty good.

10. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Just curious have you tried changing to a higher quality spring set and extractor I had a lot of the same issues with my American classic 1911 changed to Wilson combat springs with a 22 pound recoil spring fixed the problem right away and I haven't had any other issues

11. cuba

cuba New Member

I'm not familiar with the Taylor's & Company models but if you say that its the same as the Rock, with a little tweaking it can be made to run like a sewing machine, at least I know I could make it run reliably, then I'd invest in a Tactical model by Rock Island, and like I said both of the two other choices are not any better then the Rock, but ultimately its your choice so good luck

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  12. Axxe55

i have shot and handled the RIA's, and as much as i do like them, they are not anywhere in the same league as the Remington R1 Enhanced. that pistol is super accurate and very well fitted. very tight fitting everywhere. now i can't truly comment on the SR1911, but what i have seen of them, they seem very well made and Ruger does have an outstanding reputation. the RIA and the MetroArms AC pistols are fantastic 1911's for someone on a budget and i even own one, so i can make the comparison of them.

13. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I've handled both that came into the range where I work. I liked the fit & finish on the Ruger SR1911 better that the R1 Enhanced, not that it was shabby. This was not a side by side, the SR1911 came in around 9AM and the R1 around noon.

But, I am also a Ruger fan, own a few of their revolvers and a Mini 30, all great firearms, so I am a bit biased.:rolleyes:

14. Axxe55

i wish i could compare them side by side myself. i still want one of the SR1911's though, just because i too own other Rugers and have had nothing but good luck with them over the years, and feel that their SR1911 will live up to the reputation of the other fine guns they have made.

hopefully in August or September, my LGS hopes to have some start arriving from his dealers. hopefully! i do like the stainless finish on them.

15. sjn1955

sjn1955 New Member

I have the Remington R1 in stainless and just bought the Ruger 1911 last week. I have quite a few rounds through both of them and they are
    both fabulous guns for the money. BTW I paid
    740.00 for the Remington and 700.00 for the
    Ruger. I can surely tell you that both these guns
    are quite accurate and reliable and shoot and
    look as well or better than 1911s costing hundreds more. You can't go wrong with either one.

16. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

Good to hear from an owner! The SR1911 may be my next 1911 (yes it is a disease).:D

17. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

I've heard that the r1 can have some trigger issues...but that's easily fixed enough. My wife has an lc9 and that little pistol goes bang every time you pull the trigger. I'm a little biased towards the Ruger but only because I have more experience with Ruger than Remington.

18. Axxe55

with over a 1000 rounds through mine, i have had no trigger issues as of yet. curious as to where you heard about trigger issues on the R1? because this is the first i have ever heard about it.

19. brewna01

brewna01 New Member

Do a search on it

20. 1911ripley

1911ripley New Member

The r1 enhance all day it has way more option then the ruger in fact the ruger I would compare more to the Remington r1 stainless they both have the same option but then r1 enhance way better