Ruger SR1911 or AR15?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Duck4Glocks, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Once I finish moving and closing on this house. I'm looking to purchase a new firearm.

I really want the new Ruger SR1911. I do not own a 1911 but I own a couple of handguns already and carry a Glock 23. I have a M&P 15-22 but want an AR in 5.56.

I'm having trouble deciding if I want to go with another handgun or the AR. If I do the AR15 I will be building my own and spending about $700 to finish the build. The SR1911 is right around $700.

Anyone have any suggestions or opinions on what would be the best route.

2. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

I would go with the AR personally. If the government has it's way you may not be able to get one in the future...at least not without jumping through a ton of hoops.

3. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

If you can find the sr1911, go for it but it may take a while!

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I have a tendency to agree to a point, I highly doubt that anyone will ban the AR. Maybe another assault weapons ban on the "evil" features but no total ban, at least i hope anyway.

With that being said, the likelihood that a 1911 will ever be unavailable is next to none. Although I've heard the Ruger ones are scarce.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Those are two good selections, its like the perfect combo. The SR1911s have been having a long waiting list recently,so get your name on the 1911 list then get your AR. Then you have time to save up again while you are waiting for the 1911 to come in.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Go with AR. Like i seen someone said "Itsn't an Arsenal without an AR in it.".
    It's a poison which got me addicted. Lol

7. shootah45

shootah45 New Member

Both!! Lol if you carry a Glock You should get the AR!! In my opinion you need both!! I own many & carry cocked & locked (1911's) and 2 Colt A/R s although no Rugers.just Colts, Kimber's & Smiths

8. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

This is what I was thinking. By the time I get an AR and save for the 1911, the Rugers will be more available. I would love to build an AR 15.

9. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

I've always said , buy both when making a decision! But load up on 30 rnd mags while you can! You can find a 10 pack pf pmags for a good deal every so often .

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I really love my Ruger SR1911. Great gun.

Buy/build an AR15 if you don't have one yet. Yep, ahead of the 1911. And I'm saying that at someone whose general firearms interests lay on the pistol side. AR's are just a blast. And they're really easy to be accurate with. And you can trick them out. And chicks dig 'em. And...

...you get the point.

11. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Oh I'm getting both but there will be a little time in between. I'm going to a Gun Show this weekend and I'm going to try to find some decent 30 round mags.

Apparently they are going to be harder to come by?

12. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

It's an election year. Every gun related item will be hard to come by IMO

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Check out the Magpul Pmags or the Emags

14. cmidfield14

cmidfield14 New Member

While the AR's probably aren't going anywhere (let's face it, all the "omg a democrat got elected - go buy guns" hype did was drive up the price), i would get an AR before a new pistol... Gotta have a well rounded arsenal.

Plus There's always more time to get more pistols... but you never know when we'll get invaded by Katrina refugees, North koreans, terrorists, Russians, zombies, and Pokemon. (all at once of course)

15. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

Update: I purchased a Spikes tactical stripped lower today at the gun show. $110 after tax. I got the one with the pirate symbol. I would post a pick but I'm hiding it from the wife right now.

So it looks like I'm starting the build sooner than I thought. And I'll probably go with this AR kit.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/arcompupperkitforretracta.aspx

I have a buddy who built one and it seems to be a decent gun. Would like to know what you guys think.

16. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

Congrats! Let's see a pic! Pm me if you want a couple vids to help put your lower together

17. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

image-173526550.jpg

I could use some vids ill pm you when ever I get the kit. I would like a little input on the kit posted above. If anyone has had experience with it.