Ruger SR1911 in California

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by john_t_714, Jul 1, 2012.

1. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

This question is more for CA residents.

How much would you pay for a SR1911 legally in CA?

I know a guy that has one legally registered in CA. He showed me the letter from DOJ. Still looks brand new, comes with box and everything.

Thanks for your input.

2. angurvail

angurvail New Member

Last I checked. The sr is not on the approved Cali list to the general public. Unless your law enforcement. So personally there are many more choices that are locked in that don't require the Cali requirements that are available to the public. So my point is.. It's not worth the price compares to what else is out there.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Where in Cali are you?

You can get one in on a SSE single shot exemption. I've never done it before and only know the general procedure. It will set you back like $200 ish on top of the actual purchase price and add a couple weeks to your 10 day wait. There are a handful of ffls that will perform this service for you. Check ou calguns.net for a list for ffls. Hopefully there's one near you.

4. rmcmahanP345

rmcmahanP345 New Member

I just asked my gun store a couple days ago about getting one, living here in the Peoples Republic of Southern California, and I was told they were on the list not legal for sale here. Unfortunately, there are quite a few firearms that fit this criterea. For instance, my wife was looking at getting a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 when she started going to the range together. After looking in the Sig Sauer catalog, she picked out the pink version of this handgun. We went to our local gun store to order it only to find out that this weapon in pink has not been "drop tested" for California therefore was illegal to purchase here! Welcome to Cali!!!

5. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

AgentTikki - I might be able to get his for the same price...$200 over whatever he paid for it.

I'm in Orange County.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

7. angurvail

angurvail New Member

John. Why go through all the trouble to try and get something unapproved. When there are many 1911s that are? Just wondering.

8. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

Correct, the Ruger SR1911 is NOT available for sale in CA. But it is okay if it is brought in and registered.

So if someone from Arizona, moved to CA, registered all their firearms in CA, then they can do a Private Party Transfer.

P.S. All new residents to CA must register all handguns within 60 days.

Angurvail - No trouble for me because all registration has been done, so if I want to buy from him, just pay him and go through FFL.

Why, cause its purdy...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  9. john_t_714

john_t_714 New Member

Thanks again for everyone's input...

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

John you are correct. If you are able to find one legal brought in from a private party (NOT a dealer) or even from a law enforcement officer that no longer want theirs (they are exempt from the rule) you can purchase it legally and register it legally......but its real hard to find one. Hell even dealers are having a hard time keeping them in stock.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

So your telling me I would have to register 150 guns. What about long guns? That would be another 200+. Jeez I wouldn't live there if you gave me the place if that's true. God I own 200 guns from private sales that aren't registered anywhere. I'm not about to start now.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

If you moved to California, that is the law.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I just can't comprehend :(how bad it must suck to be a gun owner in Ca.
    A Pink Mosquito isn't allowed :confused:

14. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

It's amazing the difference in individual states gun laws and regulations.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Well count us lucky.

The list was intended to keep us civvies safe from all the other dangerous firearms out there. All new models must be submitted to the CA DOJ and must have loaded chamber indicators, magazine safeties etc etc.

I feel much safer, especially because LEOs can purchase anything they want "safe" or "unsafe".